PDA

View Full Version : power seat issue-intermittent operation (help)

noalibi
07-15-2011, 08:05 AM
i have been over and under my 99 c280 and can not figure out why the power seats work when they want to, so here's what i've done so far after using the search option........replaced the aux relay in the trunk next to the battery, checked all fuses, and examined all wiring and harnesses under the seats. here's where i am baffled because i was thinking after all the troubleshooting that i had an intermittent open somewhere (broke/bad wire), but that would only affect the seat with the problem, whereas when mine won't work it affects both seats. Now i'm thinking that there may be another relay coming from the power source, but i can't find one. Can anyone enlighten me?
:confused::confused:

Denlasoul
07-16-2011, 09:49 PM
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?6025-When-Powerseats-Fail

This Feature Story link may help.

nhmercracer
07-17-2011, 07:29 AM
If the door switch turns out to be OK, there is a relay in the trunk on the right hand side. The relay becomes intermittent due to corrosion. This was the issue in my 99 C280. I replaced the relay, and no more problem

noalibi
07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
i don't have a corrosion problem, i have an intermittent power problem. when there is power everything works great, and when i don't have power nothing on either seat works at all.

nhmercracer
07-17-2011, 06:54 PM
This has nothing to do with body corrosion. A relay housed in your trunk where moisture will collect at some point, is susceptible to moisture induced corrosion. This relay is K24 Convenience Relay. It is located in the trunk, under the black plastic cover which you can see when you remove the trunk rug.

Scary-Larry
03-04-2013, 03:59 PM
See if this helps. I think its the relay in the trunk like some people said elsewhere on the topic:

http://mb.ilcats.ru/part/class/1/ccode/F/cat/44W/type/202/subtype/028/group/82/subgr/465

robert
04-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Hey, did you fix the seats yet?

Scary-Larry
04-08-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm in the process of restoring my 1998 C280 (a new post will be up for the project when it gets underway). I think that the electric seat problem will be on top of the list. If I fix it, I promise that I will post details on how to get them working again.

Today I was cleaning out the center console and found just under $70 in quarters and there are many more under the seat that I cannot get to without moving them backwards.
I think that there is a smart phone and a collections of other electronics under them too that I really want to get out. My 2000 C280 Sport has the same seat problem too and I want to clean out the treasures under those seats when I fix that issue as well.

Just the fact that in both cars the driver's seats are up to the wheel and don't move really prevents theft (on top of the alarm code and electric keys).