PDA

View Full Version : has any air baged there 202

black97c280
07-24-2011, 01:42 PM
i have a 97c280 with airbags i was just wondering if any one did the same, have some problems with the shocks no the front cant find a place to move them to,i am running 8in bags so ill get a good ride but i if change to 6in i can put the oem shock back, but it would ride like sh_t can any one help,also my clock,tick,temp,and mile, on the Cluster do not got out at all car off or on,now i did change out the Cluster about a mouth age think that will fix it but it don t i now it should go out after 5-10 seconds

SD202
07-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Go with brandons hydro setup way better ride quality over Air. Bags are for groceries. Ide say keep it static. I love the "is that thing on bags" question from people. with a short and sweet NO! =D

OCKlasse
07-24-2011, 08:22 PM
+1

The juice is loose!

zmatt
07-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I have pretty strong opinions regarding things like this. but put short, I would say a good set of coil overs are much better. bags will give you the low ride and a smooth ride, but none of the handling when it gets curvy.

nelius
07-25-2011, 10:18 AM
i dunno if it's worth even getting coilovers for our 202s.. the nice thing is that we get to play with spring pads. i got springs that lowered 1.7 inches all around, cut the fronts some more then its all spring pads from there :D or more cutting..

Section 8
07-25-2011, 03:06 PM
id like to have it done... on my 210..

zmatt
07-25-2011, 11:45 PM
i dunno if it's worth even getting coilovers for our 202s.. the nice thing is that we get to play with spring pads. i got springs that lowered 1.7 inches all around, cut the fronts some more then its all spring pads from there :D or more cutting..

why do you say that? The 202 is a great chassis with a great suspension. I don't see why its not worth it to get coilovers.

DRBC43AMG
07-26-2011, 01:10 AM
Hey people, since when do W202's have coilovers?? :confused: Just pure BS

zmatt
07-26-2011, 08:45 AM
http://www.raceinspired.com/p-28554-kw-variant-2-coilovers-kit-mercedes-benz-c-class-sedan-wagon-4cyl-1993-2000.aspx

Really now?

nelius
07-26-2011, 09:21 PM
why do you say that? The 202 is a great chassis with a great suspension. I don't see why its not worth it to get coilovers.

because to me, it doesn't make sense to spend $1700 on coilovers for a car that's worth around $4000.

zmatt
07-26-2011, 09:28 PM
because to me, it doesn't make sense to spend $1700 on coilovers for a car that's worth around $4000.

eh fair enough. But a lot of enthusiast in many different scenes would disagree with you. But to each his own, I guess it depends on what you want to get out of your car.

DRBC43AMG
07-27-2011, 05:52 AM
http://www.raceinspired.com/p-28554-kw-variant-2-coilovers-kit-mercedes-benz-c-class-sedan-wagon-4cyl-1993-2000.aspx

Really now?

It says: "Sample image and actual product can differ". I repeat that is NOT for a W202. I'll get you a pic of the REAL stuff

Section 8
07-27-2011, 06:31 AM

is that how you think of your mercedes 202...you think of it as a $4000 car? it may well be, but to a car, no to a mercedes enthusiast it means a lot more..

none of these older mercedes are worth anything but thats the markets opinion to me there worth what they where new.. but thats just me a pure mercedes enthusiast. most of the cars here have rims that match or is very close or over the cost of the car including mine........so? if it cost $500, $5000 or 50k its still a benz and people can choose to do them up any way they want and i have respect for people who treat there cars well by buying more expensive items for a older car than some chump fooled into thinking audi is a decent make and hands over 50k for crap....

SD202
07-27-2011, 08:43 AM
This thread makes me LOL. Coilovers for the W202 are nothing more than a threaded perch that replaces your spring pad along with dampening adjustable struts. IMO buy some koni adjustables and H&Rs and take a coil off of them play with springs pads. You pretty much have the same thing as coilovers now. The suspension on our cars makes it so that the spring and strut combo is the only way to go even if you do spend the 1700 on kw's. if you wanted true one piece racing coilovers you would have to modify where the shock tower comes up into the car basically re-design the entire wheel well up front. and in the rear. As well as cut the spring cups off of your chassis. and probably modify the Hub & Upper control arm / front wishbone.

ps: VW/Audi AG is the number one car manufacture in the world right now.

Section 8
07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
This thread makes me LOL. Coilovers for the W202 are nothing more than a threaded perch that replaces your spring pad along with dampening adjustable struts. IMO buy some koni adjustables and H&Rs and take a coil off of them play with springs pads. You pretty much have the same thing as coilovers now. The suspension on our cars makes it so that the spring and strut combo is the only way to go even if you do spend the 1700 on kw's. if you wanted true one piece racing coilovers you would have to modify where the shock tower comes up into the car basically re-design the entire wheel well up front. and in the rear. As well as cut the spring cups off of your chassis. and probably modify the Hub & Upper control arm / front wishbone.

not in the uk there not... other places might be dumb right now but benz is the uks number one brand... over rolex for gods sake...
besides it dont really matter.. there utter shit.. i have spent way more than 1700 on my cars.... about 3500 just for me wheels... my front AMG bumper was 950 alone thats £ not $

SD202
07-27-2011, 03:59 PM
not in the uk there not... other places might be dumb right now but benz is the uks number one brand... over rolex for gods sake...
besides it dont really matter.. there utter shit.. i have spent way more than 1700 on my cars.... about 3500 just for me wheels... my front AMG bumper was 950 alone thats £ not $
Ummmmmm
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs9vxf2Zh7zNqz7ezH7R7EyFORvBlxz 0GwikDisTzKI73aG7jU
not sure how the price of your mods is relevant to this thread but..... all Luxury cars have expensive aftermarket parts. And IMO the b5 AWD A4 sitting in my driveway is and has been far more reliable than my C280. and was far cheaper. better on gas. and cost less to maintain.
And I dont know where you get your information from but back in 2009 when VW auto group merged with porsche they pushed toyota to 2nd place as the WORLDS leading auto manufacture.

nelius
07-27-2011, 09:30 PM
eh fair enough. But a lot of enthusiast in many different scenes would disagree with you. But to each his own, I guess it depends on what you want to get out of your car.

exactly. if our 202s are not tuned for the track (which i'm sure 97% are not), why spend that much money on KW coilovers? it makes sense to do so in other scenes, especially VW because parts are so much cheaper. my buddy only paid $400 on coilovers for his MKIV 20th Gti. or in the audi scene, a lot of people get them so they can raise their quattros for winter..

section 8: I am a CAR enthusiast. im not a bimmer/audi/vw or even jdm hater i appreciate all cars.I love my 202 to death but sooner or later i will upgrade to another car, prbly an Audi A3 or a MKVI golf tdi, so on and so forth. putting rims on is a completely different thing than buying coilovers. Maybe i'm too careful with my spendings, but a coilover setup for a 202 will basically have no resale value. Compare that to a set of BBS AMG 2 piece wheels. extremely good resale value and a whole lot easier to take off a car.

Mitchamus
07-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Just so you guys know, C43s in Australia cost anywhere between $25,000 and $35,000 and with the AUD worth more than USD that is ridiculous. So when some guy says his car is only worth 4k he should think himself lucky he could buy shit loads of 202s.

nelius
07-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Just so you guys know, C43s in Australia cost anywhere between $25,000 and $35,000 and with the AUD worth more than USD that is ridiculous. So when some guy says his car is only worth 4k he should think himself lucky he could buy shit loads of 202s.

i was referring to non AMGs.. i shoulda been more clear i guess. you can find a c36 or c43 for in between $8000-$12000 over in the states

zmatt
07-31-2011, 12:19 AM
It says: "Sample image and actual product can differ". I repeat that is NOT for a W202. I'll get you a pic of the REAL stuff

That is a silly reply, the image isn't completely accurate, but almost all coilovers look the same the main differences are in tuning which you really cant see and in the mounting brackets. I have helped a lot of people install coil overs in their cars and I have done it for myself more than once, you seen one you seen em all. besides, they are advertised as such and everyone knows KW makes coilovers for the 202, dont be a troll.

is that how you think of your mercedes 202...you think of it as a $4000 car? it may well be, but to a car, no to a mercedes enthusiast it means a lot more..

none of these older mercedes are worth anything but thats the markets opinion to me there worth what they where new.. but thats just me a pure mercedes enthusiast. most of the cars here have rims that match or is very close or over the cost of the car including mine........so? if it cost $500, $5000 or 50k its still a benz and people can choose to do them up any way they want and i have respect for people who treat there cars well by buying more expensive items for a older car than some chump fooled into thinking audi is a decent make and hands over 50k for crap....

I agree, personal value of your car is far more important than market value. not everyone regards their cars in simple terms of what they can sell it for down the road. Old benz's are very cool, they are really well built and well thought out cars. "The best or nothing", you just don't see that kind of commitment anymore in a world of designed obsolescence where the companies are run by MBAs concerned about profit margins and not engineers.

I have a friend who owns an old cadillac and I think its a POS. It's slow, poorly blur, cant handle for shit, gets terrible mpg...etc. But he loves it, and he doesn't care that the insurance company values it at only $800. He loves it and plans on never selling it even when he has much better card. I can respect your opinion on what is worth doing, but i also agree with Section 8, not everyone agrees with you and resale value isn't always priority #1.

I'm not going to take the time to argue the merits of one setup versus the other as it is all base don your driving style and what feels right, but last time I checked all sources said Toyota was #1 base don volume, until last year and then GM got 1st place back this year in volume worldwide, which it has held since forever. VW wants to be the biggest, but honestly its a silly thing to aspire too. Look what it did to Toyota. They stopped caring about actually making decent cars and first they got boring and toaster like and then they started malfunctioning. Even if the runaway problems were user error their quality isn't what it used to be. And they aren't very innovative either.

exactly. if our 202s are not tuned for the track (which i'm sure 97% are not), why spend that much money on KW coilovers? it makes sense to do so in other scenes, especially VW because parts are so much cheaper. my buddy only paid $400 on coilovers for his MKIV 20th Gti. or in the audi scene, a lot of people get them so they can raise their quattros for winter..

section 8: I am a CAR enthusiast. im not a bimmer/audi/vw or even jdm hater i appreciate all cars.I love my 202 to death but sooner or later i will upgrade to another car, prbly an Audi A3 or a MKVI golf tdi, so on and so forth. putting rims on is a completely different thing than buying coilovers. Maybe i'm too careful with my spendings, but a coilover setup for a 202 will basically have no resale value. Compare that to a set of BBS AMG 2 piece wheels. extremely good resale value and a whole lot easier to take off a car.

it all depends on what you want your car to do. The KW variant 2's are not track coilovers though. Don't go assuming that. They will improve handling and make the car sportier, but real track suspensions are quite adjustable and very expensive. And again resale value may be important to you but to others it isn't. If everyone thought that way no cars would ever be modified for fear of hurting the resale.

SD202
07-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Ok Mr wikipedia. So Toyota pushes out a bunch of cars......... Those numbers are also user input numbers that people who go on wikipedia submit to build the database of Information. Not to mention upon a google search those production statistics reflect the 2008 fiscal year.Which was prior to the merge of VW/Audi AG with Porsche. By just 09' VW surpassed Toyota by almost 400,000 units produced...... but like always its the intrawebz you're right im wrong. Btw i would still buy an OLD Toyota knowing it'd go to 200k with minimal maintenance. sorta like my good ol' 202 =D

nelius
07-31-2011, 02:24 PM
If everyone thought that way no cars would ever be modified for fear of hurting the resale

that's not true. it hasn't stopped me and i have plenty of friends who keep resale value in mind and still modify their cars.

Mitchamus
08-01-2011, 07:25 AM
with the AUD worth more than the USD this depresses me deeply... haha

zmatt
08-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Ok Mr wikipedia. So Toyota pushes out a bunch of cars......... Those numbers are also user input numbers that people who go on wikipedia submit to build the database of Information. Not to mention upon a google search those production statistics reflect the 2008 fiscal year.Which was prior to the merge of VW/Audi AG with Porsche. By just 09' VW surpassed Toyota by almost 400,000 units produced...... but like always its the intrawebz you're right im wrong. Btw i would still buy an OLD Toyota knowing it'd go to 200k with minimal maintenance. sorta like my good ol' 202 =D

Actually i didn't even look at wikipedia, I just read several auto blogs and when one manufacturer surpasses another in volume or customer satisfaction or any other metric they make a big deal about it. In the end it really doesn't matter as i don't like Jettas or Camrys. And I think being the largest isn't the same as the "best". I think Mazda has a good if stale lineup. All of their current cars that I have had the chance to drive are fun and well built. That checks too important boxes for me.

that's not true. it hasn't stopped me and i have plenty of friends who keep resale value in mind and still modify their cars.

Again to each his own man, i don't know how to get that across to you. I know people who have to do weird engine swaps because it can be done, and I know people who have to have original parts matching everything or it's ruined. Point is resale isn't the most important thing to all of us.

with the AUD worth more than the USD this depresses me deeply... haha

I try not to think about economics as much as possible. It's always depressing.

600whp s4
09-22-2011, 12:15 PM

can you sell mine and ill ship it there?????