PDA

View Full Version : Car just lowered need some help!

seikencube
07-28-2011, 08:19 AM
I just lowered my 98 c230 classic with bilistein sports shocks and HR lowering springs. Both my rear right and left control arm link was been replaced when installing my struts and springs because my right arm was seized so i ask to just change both.
My handling and breaking was amazing and i love how the car sits.

PROBLEM: Whenever I turn hard left or go over a bump i hear a hard cling noise on my rear left wheel, coming from the suspension on that side. Whenever im on uneven ground and my left rear tire goes up i hear the cling noise. However it sometimes happens not all the time! I asked around in shops and they said it could be my spring pad? I dont know what number of spring pad my car is using but can that fix the problem? and if so i would like to know what number spring pad you guys put on the rear cause when i lowered my car my rear is a bit lower than the front.

any advice would be appreciated thanks!

Denlasoul
07-28-2011, 08:31 PM
HI there and welcome.

To answer your question, spring pad thickness varies from car to car, even the same model and year. Depending on the options when the car was ordered, the dealer chose which thickness to go with. To find out the thickness on your car, locate the spring pad and find some rubber nobs. The number of nobs tells you which spring pad you have, 1 nob - spring pad 1, etc etc. You can find the part numbers and their respective thickness in the Part Numbers section. Also, if you do a Search you will find some great Threads describing what I summarized, and with pictures.

seikencube
07-28-2011, 09:27 PM
ooh alright but where can i locate the spring pads? i mean i installed hr lowering springs already and since its making that noise i dont have spring pads on the car now? so where would it be? on my old springs? sorry im still new to this

SD202
07-29-2011, 09:42 AM
your spring pads sit on top of your springs. if they are not there then you for sure need to put them back in because your metal spring is in a METAL cup and metal on metal can cause the noise your describing i ran without spring pads before and the car made all sorts of creaking and clanking noises.

mbsickness
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
In the case of my 94 C280 it came with #2 pads front and rear. After installing the H&R's I have #2 pads up front and the #3 (thickest) in the rear. Even with this setup it sits a tad low in the rear.

seikencube
07-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Oooh so I can go to my local dealer? and ask for w202 #2 and #3 pads for font and rear? My car is a 98 c230 classic

Denlasoul
07-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Oooh so I can go to my local dealer? and ask for w202 #2 and #3 pads for font and rear? My car is a 98 c230 classic

Yes. Part numbers are here: http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?5437-Common-part-numbers

seikencube
08-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Oh nice! thanks a lot Denlasoul!