PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer installation.

ypkx
08-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Real quick question for those who have installed a subwoofer in the back of their 202.

Where did you run your cables through from the stereo? did you take it under the door seals? or through the center console?

Yujin
08-04-2011, 07:23 AM
I ran mine under the door seals, and then into the center console from the front passenger side into the center console.

ypkx
08-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Im guessing you are talking about the cable running from the back to front.

So where does it pass through the boot to the rear passenger seats to get to the door seals?

Yujin
08-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I hide the wires in the trim of the car. My sub is in the back, I wasnt clear about that Lol. You can run the cables through the center console very easily, you just have to unscrew the thing and take it out. If you need help removing it, here is a video from W201n202... Lower Center Console Removal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr-jEznMGRg)

From the right rear seat from the back where the Sub is...
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/YujiV/Pictures/IMG_20110804_183528.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/YujiV/Pictures/IMG_20110804_183601.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/YujiV/Pictures/IMG_20110804_183621.jpg

Tucked in between the rug
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/YujiV/Pictures/IMG_20110804_183712.jpg

Going into the center console
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/YujiV/Pictures/IMG_20110804_183734.jpg

ypkx
08-05-2011, 05:47 AM
brilliant! very helpful images, thanks man! Now to buy the amp!

Yujin
08-05-2011, 07:57 AM
My friend installed the sub for me, kids really good when it comes to doing stuff like this. Just tuck all your problems away :)

ypkx
08-05-2011, 12:08 PM
My friend installed the sub for me, kids really good when it comes to doing stuff like this. Just tuck all your problems away :)

I did my old car myself but the astras arent very accessible.

97C28O
08-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Yujin, what kind of sub are you running? Sealed box, ported box?

Yujin
08-05-2011, 04:29 PM
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/YujiV/Pictures/IMG_20110805_195039.jpg

My philosophy for my car is "Simplicity, Low Profile and Timeless Beauty"

I'm not trying to shake the car, or the ground, just get enough for me to enjoy while driving, and have trunk space still haha. Plus, it matches the interior with my bright LED lighting I have in the car.

The Sub is a Kicker, 12'' sub with a 350w amp. The sub came pre-built, so sealed box? Idk the lingo to tell you the truth.

97C28O
08-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Looks good, Have you tried standing it up? maybe that would save some space, then again the height may hit the ceiling..

Yujin
08-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Itll fall down lol. It did last time and I was scared it would break xD

ypkx
08-06-2011, 06:10 PM
ive got two audiobahn 12" subs to install, going to do it bafflebox style.. Will take up half the boot space!

97C28O
08-06-2011, 07:35 PM

haha good point. What you can do is get a strip of velcro (not the soft side) and tape it the bottom of the box and staple gun it down. Then place it on the trunk carpet, wont slide. That is what I do with my current sub in my GTI.

ypkx
08-07-2011, 06:19 AM
^ and that is also how im planning on keeping my build in the same place.

Yujin
08-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Didnt think about doing that, thanks for the tip lol. Maybe now it wont fall xD

ypkx
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I think i might run my cables behind the steering collumn, as i have found it leads straight to the door seals?

Yujin
08-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I've never tried it, wouldnt know much about it. If it works, post up some pics if you can :D

zmatt
08-10-2011, 10:46 AM
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/YujiV/Pictures/IMG_20110805_195039.jpg

My philosophy for my car is "Simplicity, Low Profile and Timeless Beauty"

I'm not trying to shake the car, or the ground, just get enough for me to enjoy while driving, and have trunk space still haha. Plus, it matches the interior with my bright LED lighting I have in the car.

The Sub is a Kicker, 12'' sub with a 350w amp. The sub came pre-built, so sealed box? Idk the lingo to tell you the truth.

I'm digging that philosophy. I haven't found a need to upgrade the stereo yet, but i may do it if I change out the headunit and do it all at once. For stock it isn't a bad stereo.

Yujin
08-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I will have to agree. the Stock radio isnt bad, but with my aftermarket, I def hear a difference. But now my cars interior looks cheesy with a blue ring around it lol.

ypkx
08-14-2011, 09:36 AM
After giving my car a good browse, ill be running the stereo cables through under the ateering collumn into a joint that leads straight the door seals.. All the way to the back bench but i have no idea how it can get to the back! Someone please help me via my other thread in 'interior' section! Thanks!

ypkx
08-21-2011, 01:20 PM
has no one found its very hard to hear the subwoofer pounding ? Im not sure if its because im used to an open boot (used to have an estate) but this is shear quiet!

Yujin
08-21-2011, 04:08 PM
My pounds very loud Lol. Adjust settings? On both the amp and the stereo?

95mbC280
08-24-2011, 04:09 AM
your subs might just not be powerful enough too

KINGFACTOR
12-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Y don't u stand it up and fasten it to the back seat wall. I've got 2 12" kickers in a ported box in my trunk. 980 watt amp. Sounds good but I don't turn it up too much cause then the trunk rattles. Have to get something to stop that :) urs looks good though

KINGFACTOR
12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
has no one found its very hard to hear the subwoofer pounding ? Im not sure if its because im used to an open boot (used to have an estate) but this is shear quiet!

Its hard to hear because the benz is basically soundproofed for a quieter ride (if u note there is a solid metal wall behind the seat with no opening. What I did was take out the bose speaker sub and the foam which blocked up the hole on the back dash and now a little more thump comes through. Next step will be to cut out holes in the rear seat wall to let through more sound

harryt
12-19-2011, 11:23 AM
I should take a pic of mines :p

BTW you DON'T have to run ANY wires to the front of the car.

All my wires are in the trunk.. So if you ran wires.. you basically did extra work that you didn't need to do at all LOL.

KINGFACTOR
12-19-2011, 01:24 PM

All my wires are in the trunk.. So if you ran wires.. you basically did extra work that you didn't need to do at all LOL.

Just curious how you got that one done. I use the wires already run to the doors and back dash to install my music system and just bypassed the factory amp and spliced into the wires from the trunk however I STILL had to run a seperate wire from the head unit to the actual sub. So I still to take out rear seats etc. Would like to know for when I upgrade my music system again. Currently running just one amp for the 2 750 w 12" kickers in the back. Would like to add a seperate amp for the highs and mids

97C28O
12-19-2011, 07:19 PM

I'd like to know how you did this

Yujin
12-20-2011, 07:03 AM
I had all my wires in the trunk with the fact. OEM headunit, but once I went aftermarket, it went to the front. Not a big deal to be honest, but more work is more work I suppose.

harryt
12-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Well I tapped off the Battery for the POS 12V, tapped off an area with a screw on the chassis for GND, tapped off the bose amp line, to get my own amp to turn on as well, and then tapped off my rear speaker to get the signal to my amp for the Left/Right channels. All of those wires are in the trunk.

Saved me A LOT of time than to run wires and make a mess.

I don't get why you need a aftermarket wire? Makes no sense......

ypkx
12-21-2011, 07:42 AM
^ still don't understand the above.

Aftermarket wire is usually of a better quality than standard already installed, even if mercedes are installed with bose. My cabling for my first build cost almost £70. Ive just had a new box put in with a set of thicker gauge cabling and the sound is definitely a lot better. I've even had the rear speakers rewired for when I have my bass up, I can have it up for a longer duration.

strictlyspeakin
12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
He's using a line level input for his aftermarket sub amp. He's running the rear speaker input and sub amp input in parallel. The only issue with doing what harryt did is that it potentially changes the ohm rating for rear speakers. The Bose amp is probably dealing with it just fine.

I tend to agree with you about the wiring but different strokes.

harryt
12-22-2011, 12:03 AM
He's using a line level input for his aftermarket sub amp. He's running the rear speaker input and sub amp input in parallel. The only issue with doing what harryt did is that it potentially changes the ohm rating for rear speakers. The Bose amp is probably dealing with it just fine.

I tend to agree with you about the wiring but different strokes.

Well said.. thanks!

My bose amp is still working fine.

ypkx
12-30-2011, 11:49 PM
ah i see, thats an idea i guess!

97C28O
02-04-2012, 07:26 PM
How do you remove the back seats?

strictlyspeakin
02-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Look to see if there are any push tabs on the front of the bottom cushion. If so push them in then ...(and if not) lift the front of the cushion up. The bottom cushion comes out first. Once it is out, you should see 3 screw bolts at the bottom of the back cushion. One on each side the other in the middle. Take those out. Finally push the rear cushion up about an inch and it should come free.

97C28O
02-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Look to see if there are any push tabs on the front of the bottom cushion. If so push them in then ...(and if not) lift the front of the cushion up. The bottom cushion comes out first. Once it is out, you should see 3 screw bolts at the bottom of the back cushion. One on each side the other in the middle. Take those out. Finally push the rear cushion up about an inch and it should come free.

I actually figure it out just feeling around. It was extreme easy, near edge of the bench seats you will find the "metal hook", press it back towards rear of car and lift up gently, repeat it on the opposite end. Once the tabs are unhooked, lift up the seat and pull out. The remaining portion of the seats are held down by 3 bolts, 1 per side, 1 in the middle. Push the seat up towards roof to unhook the 3 hooks on the top of the seat and lift off.

97C28O
02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
As for my set up, it was EXTREMELY easy to do.

RCA wires ran from HU, down the center console (shifter) down to the passenger side where the flooring is overlapping another, I tucked them under there, ran to the passenger door sills, up the rear seats (there is a black cover piece with tires inside, so I opened it and tucked the RCA in there) ran it out to the trunk to the Amp. I have Kenwood 8104D Mono amp and it fit PERFECTLY on the CD Changer tray (removed the CD CHANGER). I ran power(+) from the batter about 2'5 ft long, with a fuse holder in the middle. Ran a 18" ground(-) to the body. For the 12V Remote Turn On, I used a Add-A-Circuit to the rear fuse panel right by the battery, and added that to the "Windows" fuse. This worked perfectly.

ldawgtheg
06-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Yeah my wires ran under the center console and along the side of the backseat to the trunk. I have sub bulbs so that basically converts my whole trunk into a subwoofer

Oldskool
01-27-2017, 11:47 PM
There is a handy wiring harness channel that runs from the back of the car all the way to the front. Just unclip the trim take out rear seat and unscrew the under steering wheel trim and the wiring can run in its own dedicated space. I'll post a how to when I wire in my sub and amp.