PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack conversion.. anyone got info on it?

SLAMMED_C
08-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I was wondering if there is any info out there regarding a conversion to a power steering rack.. getting rid of the drag link assembly would be nice to tighten up the front end.
I have heard that it has been done.. but I cant find any info on it doing a google search.

anf6789
08-06-2011, 09:41 PM
so like a rack and pinion vs the recirculating ball that comes stock? sounds cool

SLAMMED_C
08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
so like a rack and pinion vs the recirculating ball that comes stock? sounds cool

yes indeed.. getting rid of the drag link assembly and the power steering box to convert to a power steering rack. I've heard of it being done.. but cant find any info about it.

DRBC43AMG
08-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Probably needs some major surgery and costs a bomb to do, if at all possible. I've never heard about this type on conversion.

DirectLA
10-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Sounds intriguing but never heard of it being accomplished. May be wiser to just check bolt torque for the steering box to be sure it's good and replace the steering damper to tighten things up a bit. If you pull this off, take pics!

Pagz
10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Running first please^^

Did you have a look at how your E is done?

Im just guessing but there might be important aspects to make it work right,like the location of the rack and inner tie rods,last thing you want is huge geometry change as suspension moves up and down. I did hear of a local guy trying to run one in a 190,they had problems rack location and interfarence with suspension,i wonder if this is why they reverse the lower arms on the E class?

The drag link works a bit different in terms or geometry compared to the rack being fixed,could be a factor to consider.

zmatt
10-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Is it worth it? Having tracked my 202 I think the stock steering is adequate. Its pretty quick and I have lots of feel. Granted it's not as good as a quality rack, it's a pretty good setup.

Pagz
10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I'd be doing it for more header space on my inline RHD,likewise for any V engines should you want to build headers.

zmatt
10-10-2011, 04:00 PM
That's about the best reason i can think of.