PDA

View Full Version : LSD discussion

zmatt
09-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Just thought i would start a discussion on the lsd our cars have and if anyone has tried aftermarket units. For those who dont know the ASD system on the w202 includes an lsd. Its standard on the AMG models and optional on the others becomming standard MY 1997 and up. The lsd is an odd electro-hydraulic unit that at low speeds (i wanna say 60kph) can give up to 100% lock and above can give up to 35% lock. The LSD works together with the TCS and the ESP to provide better grip. I like to think of ASD as a stupid e-diff. The TCS in our cars seems to be a crude 1st gen type that simply kills power via the electronic throttle. The ESP like all ESP systems is built on top of the ABS.

On the topic of aftermarlet. The ASD system is decent but for heavy track use or drifting etc it doesnt provide enough lock. Some options are;

190e cosworth lsd. These provide 50% lock at best at any speed and I am told is drop in. However finding one may be hard in 2011. But I have been also told that you can buy them knew from the stealership for about $800. I have not verified this.

Quaife offers an lsd for the C32 AMG. The C32 uses the same gearbox that the 202 uses so it is possible that it is compatible. Someone would have to measure their diff and check with quaife.

If anyone has anything else to add feel free to chime in.

Pagz
09-27-2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/performance-paddock/276478-quaif-lsd.html

Pretty sure the 202 diffs are all open. If you have ESP the brakes act as a sort of electronic diff, but for ASR it just cuts engine power.

The 190e clutch pack LSD is the easiest by far...after that i reckon the W208 CLK55 220 diff with Quaife complete with CLK55 axles and driveshaft(possibly have to change output shaft flange to 4 finger amg style and cut a space above diff like on the w202 C55)

zmatt
09-28-2011, 04:35 AM
I double checked around the web and a lot of people are agreeing that ASR is an LSD, although it's low lock so it really isn't all that special. Do you know if you can still buy 190e diffs new?

Pagz
09-28-2011, 10:15 AM
ASR is a system and is not a limited slip differential of any type,the diff in this system is a simple open diff. If anything it will be applying braking to the wheel with least traction,this provides limited LSD properties.

Im not sure about buying new or used,if availible new i would expect high prices,second hand would be best bet.

Edit: mostly ,when people refer to an "ASR diff" they are refering to one with sensor holes for the ASR system...these diffs have slightly different housings to diffs without ASR. this may be why you are confused.
Also, ASD was a type of hydrolic/electric system fitted to the 190e,as far as im aware this was not fitted to the 202,if it was please post other sources/pics.

zmatt
09-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Was wondering why you were saying that then I looked at my posts and realized I said ASR instead of ASD. My bad. I meant ASD. The 190e guys have done a lot more research about ASD. Here is a good thread.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thread-W201-and-W124-ASD-diff-swaps

Pagz
09-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Somthing didnt add up =) . I guess you could use a custom ASD system like on that 190e, those diffs are pretty rare though arnt they?.

zmatt
09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
I wasnt under the impression they are that rare. I'd rather get an lsd from a cossie though.

SLAMMED_C
09-30-2011, 08:18 AM
I think any of those routes would be easier than the one I took!
I am still in talks with Quaife (since very late last year) and they had said in late august they would have some answers for me regarding my LSD. the original one they sent me was for either a w211 or w220 style diff, so I shipped it back and shipped them my stock diff assembly so they could get all the measurements they needed.
the issue they are having is how the axle attach to the side flanges, the side flanges clip inside the center of the diff with large clips and then the axle shafts bolt to the flange. the other issue they are having is figuring out how to clip in the axle flanges with the LSD in place as there will be no open part like how the stock diff is open with where the spider gears are.
They just sent me an update a few days ago..

"Silence from us is caused by what initially appeared to be some insurmountable technical issues with a previously developed Mercedes differential. At one point, I thought we had developed and produced 30 Quaife differentials that could not be installed in any car!

We are testing the solution we eventually found, and once we are confident that this issue has been resolved, I will be in a better position to determine dates for your version.

The Mercedes stuff has been a complete nightmare of late, much harder than the BMW project. Sorry for not informing you sooner, but every day we hoped for a miracle solution."

So I still need to wait.. by the looks of things I will have a pretty much custom made LSD for my W202 diff housing.
I will keep you all posted on how things go.

zmatt
09-30-2011, 09:41 AM
well if they do figure it out then perhaps we could get the board interested and do a group buy. Then it would at least be worth their trouble.

Pagz
09-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Ross,
Iv heard people run the quaife without the clips...i wouldnt be so keen^^

I can see why quaife have a hard time with fitments...looking at the ecp theres alot of combinations of similar cases/carriers with slight differences..

SLAMMED_C
09-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Ross,
Iv heard people run the quaife without the clips...i wouldnt be so keen^^

I can see why quaife have a hard time with fitments...looking at the ecp theres alot of combinations of similar cases/carriers with slight differences..

They seem pretty adamant to make it clip in some way, shape or form! otherwise I'd have one by now! its been this long I may as well just let them figure it out.
hopefully I will have some answers soon.

Pagz
10-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Yeh I'd want a proper fitment too,I guess you can use this lsd/diff with the 6-speed being 3.27?

SLAMMED_C
10-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Yeh I'd want a proper fitment too,I guess you can use this lsd/diff with the 6-speed being 3.27?

yes indeed.. the cars (r170) running a 6 speed also use a 3.27 rear end! so luckily Im okay!

600whp s4
10-29-2011, 10:02 AM
my c43 has no lsd!

zmatt
11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey slammed, any word from Quaife?