PDA

View Full Version : Wheel width and offset options?

babycarlsson
10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Maybe I'm getting too old, but I like almost nothing from current line-up of available wheels to fit W202... Short of continue looking for a used set of Monoblock II or Carlsson 1/6, I do like BBS LM replicas...

What width/offset range can I consider for guaranteed no rubbing/fitment issues for this project C280 that will be lowered with H&R, likely with #5 pads rear and #3 front?

Particularly, looking at 8" width for the front and offset 42mm, would that be an issue with a rubbing anywhere on the inner parts of the fender lining and/or any suspension components/calipers?

Thank you all in advance! Learning Mercedes allover again!

Regards,
D

wichipong
10-16-2011, 08:07 PM
it wont... you might need some spacers though to clear the brakes/suspension parts... rubbing is no problem... stretch out your tires to make em work... lol

SD202
10-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Well since you're "getting old" i wont suggest low offsets or stretched tires which is the current "IN thing" with all the kids. LOL but i will tell you that even with a 8 inch width 42mm is too high an offset and WILL rub the inner part of the wishbone where it bolts to the upper control arm right at the bolt where the ball joint is unless you reduce the tire size. Although im sure you want to keep close to factory ride comfort judging by your plans for lowering. Just be patient there are sets of used monoblocks to be had. As well as carlssons. The poster above me has a set of carlssons laying around. maybe he would sell for the right price ?

mbsickness
10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Don't know where you are located but here is a set of Carlsson rims for sale in the SF Bay Area. These aren't mine BTW.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/2645108765.html

babycarlsson
10-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Thank you all for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

Drove to see my folks today, and after seeing their country road, I know why he never put wheels bigger than 17" - gravel road and long gravel driveway in the country. So 17" it shall be... Has to be flat dish type wheel after "poking around" through his brain... Basically boils down to non-existent 17x7.5 with 17x8.5 Carlsson 1/6 or AMG Aero II in the same sizes to avoid any spacers. I'll keep on looking http://www.club202.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.png

Regards,
D

nelius
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
aero II monoblocks are not too hard too find at least in the seattle area.. i usually see a different set every other week on craigslist. if you can find me a C32 AMG wheel to complete my set, ill be glad to sell you my 17" monoblocks im currently running

babycarlsson
10-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Nelius - I can sure try... Please PM me with your budget and possibly a picture of this wheel (also it's specs - front/rear, size and offset) since I'm not familiar with it?

Regards,
D

wichipong
10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
i have to finish my set in 18s... any ideas on the color?!?

babycarlsson
10-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Wichi - color, that's a tough one... It is as "personal" as it gets. I've seen 1/6's in silver, charcoal, dark silver and white. Least favorite was dark silver, almost looked "muddy" to my taste. If I had to do all over again, white car with matching white wheels...

Well, noticed paps was looking at I believe CLK with 17" flat-ish 5 star AMG wheels, and liked them very much, so I found a absolutely mint set for him (on it's way), his car afterall... Looks like these (staggered 17x7.5 ET37 and 17x8.5 ET30)

http://www.akwest.com/Custom%20AMG%20Wheels/Custom%20AMG%205-spoke%20211.jpg

I have next week off, and all the suspension components, wheels and tires should be here, so I'll try do the swap. It's been a while, last car I've done was my A4 TQM, and that was over 5 years ago, will see...

Regards,
D