PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Springs - Stock or AMG?

TurboIS_DJ
10-29-2011, 10:03 AM
My wheels should be arriving in a week or two, and after they arrive, I will be cutting my springs.

I don't want to hear all the negativity about cutting my springs, it is just temporary until I can afford my air setup.

My question is, should I be cutting my C36 AMG springs, or should I get a set of stock C280 springs from the salvage yard and cut those? I would hate to slip up and cut them too low, and I'm sure C36 springs are somewhat rare/expensive.

The wheels are Mandrus Emils, 19x8.5 and 19x9.5.

Anyone else on here rocking cut springs?

SD202
10-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I run cut H&R lowering springs.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/310368_10150409824265971_577010970_10861460_801384 123_n.jpg
how it sits today.

before the lip. & grill change.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/281290_10150261642350009_568045008_7924663_8129692 _n.jpg

600whp s4
10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
blows out struts i hear

Pagz
10-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Dont cut the AMG ones,you may want to return to stock one day ....just save them and buy C280 ones,trust me.

Paul

nelius
10-29-2011, 11:52 AM
I would cut the amg ones cuz they're prbly stiffer than c280 which means they wont be as bouncy

Nice wheels choice btw I haven't seen how they look on 202s. I wouldn't go bigger than 18s but that's just cuz I like my car slammed.

Pagz
10-29-2011, 10:58 PM
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2943/3169/7356584037_small.jpg

zmatt
10-29-2011, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't cut springs, it's not particularly safe. Just save up and get lowering springs.

horgantrevor
10-30-2011, 04:56 AM
cut the springs

what a joke you dont like your car or handling

just wait no patients has to be now now now

save your money and do it right

you will damage wish bones bushes ,drag bar , and ball joints in the long run cutting springs then you will have to spend more money

SD202
10-30-2011, 09:40 AM
All the people bashing cut springs most likely have never run them on W202. Dont listen to them...... Its completely safe to do on a W202 as we do not have a mcpherson style strut and spring combo its double wishbone up front and IRS in the rear with the spring sitting to the side of the strut. Even with my H&R super sports cut 2 coils up front they are secure and snug in the cup when i lift my car up. I dont know what these people are talking about it damaging wishbone & drag bar. But of course even lowering the car can take its toll on rubber parts like the ball joints. which probably need to be replaced on most higher mile W202s regardless of ride height. PS. ive ridden on cut H&R super sport lowering springs since 2007 its my daily driven car. I've put 78k miles on the odo on it since it was slammed. As for the ride quality on cut lowering springs. it doesn't bounce like a honda and coupled with some bilstein sports it seems to ride just fine.NO BOUNCING. If anyone doesnt believe me come take a ride in my w202 and ill put my money where my mouth is. Besides its a 4k Lb sedan... what sort of performance is to be expected from it ....... once you're lowered/slammed/dumped/tucked/ whatever you wanna call it..... these cars are cruisers. especially since if you hit anything and take out the cats its gonna cost you around $1200.

zmatt
10-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Forget the wishbones and drag bar, cutting or installing proper lowering springs without replacing the shocks too will likely make em fail prematurely. You should ideally replace them at the same time. Furthermore by cutting the springs the spring rate isn't really changed, just the length, It's every bit as soft as before and that could lead to rubbing or easily bottoming out with hard driving or hitting big holes. And if you cut the springs wrong you can compromise their integrity and they can fail or cause unpredictable handling. Again, lowering springs ain't expensive including really nice H&R springs. So why not? My motto is do it right the first time. Wait a little longer so you can afford to have the good quality part (not necessarily brand snob) and have it installed by someone who knows their shit. Cutting corners will lead to problems.

Pagz
10-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Everybody,please re-read his original post.

Pagz
10-30-2011, 01:07 PM
What ever you do keep the original springs and shocks. You will likely tire of a hard ride or poor handling bag setup and want to change back to stock.

Cheers,
Paul

horgantrevor
10-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Everybody,please re-read his original post.

we read it just letting him know its wrong if he loves his car just wait and do it right

nelius
10-30-2011, 09:01 PM
seriously he said he doesn't wanna hear the negativity. so if you got something positive to contribute, then do it. otherwise, don't say anything..

SD202
10-30-2011, 10:50 PM
I have nothing but positive things to say about it in terms of looks and longevity. honestly all you guys dont know. because youre to scared to take the chance clearly.......Besides... If you want a performance car buy one. Dont sit here and tell the guy that hes stupid. or hes gonna ruin his car when he said he doesnt wanna hear the negativity about it especially when there are plenty of us out there running cut spring setups without problems i can think of numerous people with cut springs on 202 and 210 chassis without any major problems like i said 78k daily driven miles on the setup so far.. dont forget to change out the struts though thats a must.

zmatt
10-31-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't think you can start a thread about such a contentious issue and not expect an argument. Simply put too many people have too strong an opinion about it. Ive seen people screw up majorly with cut springs before so I don't think its as simple or great as you say. If all you are in for is looks and you do it well then you can get away with it but a cut spring is not the same as a lowering spring. your argument about people buying the wrong car is also full of holes, if it was true then the tuning and hot rodding scenes would never exist and everyone would be buying ferraris. Of course the world doesn't work that way, and I know of civics that can outrun an F430 in the quarter.....

Messing with suspension stuff isn't very fun and the op has said he will be getting lowering springs. Why deal with taking springs off twice? i would just wait for the lowering springs, unless you want to be low that bad you just cant wait.

SD202
10-31-2011, 10:06 PM
....... anything is faster than a w202 even your hot rod scene and civics.... If they messed up from cut springs it because they did not know what they were doing. and even people in the hot rod scene have cut springs before... Your everyone would have a Ferrari argument is full of holes because there are tons of affordable performance vehicles that dont scream douche bag. and when was the last time you personally ran cut springs ? I found the W202 suspension very easy to work on. and since when has wrenching on your ride not been fun ....?? lol

ypkx
11-01-2011, 03:53 AM
i took 2 coils at the back, and 1 and a half coils up front. lowered the car 80f 60r average. rubbed on 19s big time but back on 16s now with the occasional rub, and for the i thought the car was really bouncy.
But im rocking spax 40mm lowering springs now which is just as bad.

SD202
11-01-2011, 08:16 AM
i took 2 coils at the back, and 1 and a half coils up front. lowered the car 80f 60r average. rubbed on 19s big time but back on 16s now with the occasional rub, and for the i thought the car was really bouncy.
But im rocking spax 40mm lowering springs now which is just as bad.

change the struts to bilstein sport or koni adjustable. you wont regret it.

TurboIS_DJ
11-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah I'm not changing my mind about cutting my springs guys, its going to be done. I've read enough threads about it and everyone who actually has cut springs on a w202 isn't complaining.

Another thing, C36's come stock with Bilstein HD's, so I'm pretty sure they can handle a coil or two lower.

There is a 95 C280 at the pick-a-part right now, I might just go grab the springs for $20 and cut those since it might be hard to find another set of C36 springs.

chimchongdlight
11-01-2011, 10:02 PM
do a write up please, im going to be doing it soon too...and no im not planning on buying lowering springs either..haha..im just cut my stock springs now on stock shocks untill the shocks blow then worry about getting new bilstiens

SD202
11-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah I'm not changing my mind about cutting my springs guys, its going to be done. I've read enough threads about it and everyone who actually has cut springs on a w202 isn't complaining.

Another thing, C36's come stock with Bilstein HD's, so I'm pretty sure they can handle a coil or two lower.

There is a 95 C280 at the pick-a-part right now, I might just go grab the springs for $20 and cut those since it might be hard to find another set of C36 springs.

Do it the c280 and c36 are about the same weight and both have the M104 so it should hold the car up just fine. The bilstein HDs however are not all that great my c280 elegance came with those struts from the factory and they were replaced many many miles ago and made a world of difference in the drive-ability of the car while on cut springs.

do a write up please, im going to be doing it soon too...and no im not planning on buying lowering springs either..haha..im just cut my stock springs now on stock shocks untill the shocks blow then worry about getting new bilstiens

you'll need a mercedes specific spring compressor to remove the stock length front springs on w202. the rear you can use a floor jack and drop the control arm. You support the inside pivot point of the control arm with the jack. while under slight upward pressure unbolt the 19mm nut & bolt remove it from the arm. drop the jack slowly watch the spring once the jack is all the way down and out of the way the spring is no longer under pressure and you can pull down on the control arm and remove the spring and spring pad.