PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder Reservoir Cleaning

nhmercracer
10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Has anyone removed the reservoir from the master cylinder to clean it? I have a layer of black scum at the waterline of my reservoir, and I would like to remove it to clean it. My thought is to slightly depress the brake pedal to close off the fluid ports, drain, and remove the reservoir. After cleaning and drying, I will re-install the reservoir, and fill with new fluid, then bleed the brakes.

Comments?

nhmercracer
11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I followed the procedure I outlined, and used the suggestions above. I depressed the brake pedal, and held it with a length of 2x4. Then I removed the reservoir. The fluid level in the transfer ports did not drop, so I was not worried about air intrusion.

I did use non-chlorinated brake cleaner with the straw to clean as much of the reservoir as possible. I dried the the reservoir as best I could with compressed air. Then I used the methylated spirits (container said denatured alcohol) to clean again. Compressed air to dry, followed by two rinses with fresh brake fluid. I re-installed the reservoir, and refilled with fresh fluid.

DRBC43AMG
11-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Then what happened? Hope you are still with us.... Your brakes still working without a bleed? Brakes are a security issue and better not touch them unless you know what you are doing