PDA

View Full Version : idle problem

Tom Q
10-14-2003, 08:28 AM
My idle goes up to 1200 or goes down to 300 to the point of almost shutting down the engine. I drove it on the freeway and I can feel at times like somebody is pulling me back.

Check engine light is not on. I already did minor tune up (plugs, air filter) Need help :(

kameraguy
10-14-2003, 08:56 AM
This sounds like an oxygen sensor issue. I recall people who had similar problems said it was found to be a bad sensor. Can someone confirm please?

This is one thing to check. Hopefully it's nothing more severe.

Tom Q
10-14-2003, 10:04 AM
thanks. PEP Boys are selling an 02 sensor for $55 while autozone has one for $ 91. My car has 125K miles. I think I can spend on buying an 02 sensor rather than bring it to a dealer. Could it also be an MAS issue? BTW, where is the MAS sensor?

kameraguy
10-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Hi Tom, actually you are right...the MAS can also be at fault. I neglected to mention that...actually I forgot! But yes, I recall there have been idle issues that were due to the O2 sensors or MAS.

Lemme see if I can dig up some threads on it....

kameraguy
10-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Here's a search link for similar issues...but it appears there was never any follow-up after the MAS was replaced....

http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=62242&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Can anyone confirm if we are on the right track?

Also, has anyone had this issue, and resolved it with the MAS or related oxygen sensors?

kameraguy
10-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Tom, here's a thread dealing with the installation of the MAS: http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=369&highlight=rough+idle

I believe JRE was also having idle problems, thus the replacement of this sensor. Unfortunately it's not the cheapest part, but it's cheaper to DIY.

From the seraches i've done on bnzsport and mercedesshop, the MAS appears to always be the culprit when it comes to rough idle. So it's a good first step in troubleshooting.

JRE320
10-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Though I replaced the MAS sensor, I found the problem that causing the rough idle. It was the alternator and bad wiring harness. It's a pain in the ass to replaced these parts. :mad: :rolleyes: :bored:

kameraguy
10-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Oh crap....sorry Tom. I hope it's not as bad as JRE's problem.

I know others had luck replacing the MAS first though....

Tom Q
10-14-2003, 08:45 PM
thanks guys. Replacing the MAS and 02 sensor is already a pain in the $$$. Good thing they look easy to DIY. I will look into these 2 sensors and hopefully my idle goes back to normal, not to mention my car's power.

Tom Q
10-14-2003, 08:49 PM
kameraguy I can't open the first thread you attached. It says I may not have the permission to open the thread. How do I open it?

JRE320
10-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Try registering first then you can open it.