PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain a Cat-Back Exhaust, and how it differs from stock?

kameraguy
10-14-2003, 09:05 AM
I hear about a Cat-Back exhaust on occasion, and am curious as to why they exist, what benefits they offer, drawbacks if any, and how they differ from a stock exhaust system. Can someone explain please?

Also, are there any which would be a good upgrade from an AMG exhaust?

What i've gathered so far is they are supposed to sound nicer. Is that it?

manny
10-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Cat-back exhausts often eliminate the resonator ( like a second muffler ), include mandrel bend piping ( no kinks ) and a free-flowing muffler ( usually more throaty sound ).
I doubt that you can improve a whole lot on an AMG exhaust, as it is already " tuned " for performance.
As far as sound goes, that is subject to every persons preference.
Some like it loud, some like a deep rumble, etc.

nokia8860
10-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by manny

I doubt that you can improve a whole lot on an AMG exhaust, as it is already " tuned " for performance.

Manny, click the picture and out this post by our resident exhaust guru. May make you think twice about that AMG exhaust.

http://members.aol.com/cklaz220t/002.jpg (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1683)

Kameraguy, cat back basically means just that. they replace everything after the cats. Some make a pipe straight to 1 muffler, others use 2 etc... depends on the design. But thats what the term means. after the cats. purrrrrr

CKlasse
10-14-2003, 05:34 PM
hehe... Nokia beats me to the answer. Yes, CATBACK is simply a term to describe the location of the exhaust system... e.g.
CAT BACK = from cat to back
AXLE BACK = from axle (post resonator) to back
Downpipe back = from downpipe (pre cat) to back
header back = everything after header...
and so on.

manny
10-14-2003, 05:45 PM
nokia8860

Unfortunately, I don't have an AMG ( just a lowely C 230 K.
Usually AMG does not " leave very much on the table ", at least as long as they're meeting european drive-by noise emissions.
But I'm sure their track cars are a different story.
Yes I have seen " The Monster " before.
Can't wait to see dyno numbers.;)

nokia8860
10-14-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by manny

Unfortunately, I don't have an AMG ( just a lowely C 230 K.

You and me both :(