PDA

View Full Version : Against my better judgement.....

mbsickness
12-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I made an appointment to get my car repaired. As you all are well aware of is the market values of our cars can mean a mechanical repair can effectively total the car. I found myself deliberating the "fix it or scrap it" senario last night as I lost reverse on my 1994 C280. In addition to the transmission issue I also know the AC compressor needs replacing as I have to add a can of r134a every month or so. These two repairs come right up to the $3K mark or the car's value. At the end of the day I guess I'm just not ready to send it to the scrapyard just yet. As you can imagine not one family member or friend agrees with the decision to fix the car....they all say to dump it. Stats on the car for reference is as follows:

1994 C280
129K Miles
OEM Xenon headlights
Bosch clear corners
Facelift smoked taillights
W210 blinking mirrors
C36 AMG cat back exhaust
C36 AMG front barkes
H&R Springs
Bilstein Sport Shocks
Harmon Kardon Traffic Pro Navigation headunit
Auto dim rearview mirror
Homelink
OEM manual rear sunshade
OEM side sunshades
AMG 170 staggard rims

Here is a recent pic sitting on 18" Mono II's (now on AMG 170's)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/geraldch/IMG_3386.jpg

anf6789
12-07-2011, 12:31 PM
the 94's are dropping like flies, FIX IT!

190si
12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
big shame thats a lovely car

JA5ON
12-07-2011, 04:37 PM
fix it, no car payment, what will you be able to buy used for 3k that you could trust. Just know that if you get rid of it, you will kick yourself later about doing so lol

Sulaco
12-08-2011, 06:55 AM
For real. It's a no-brainer on a 94 that is that well-kept. KEEP IT.

People like to think they are giving you good advice by telling you to scrap it and go into debt for something slightly better but far more expensive (on a month-to-month basis) to drive.

As previous poster said, what the hell else could you get for $3k? On top of that, if you shop around you can find indie mechanics who can likely save you a ton of cash. Maybe the transmission doesn't need a full rebuild? And how are you certain that your AC leak is coming from the compressor itself? 9 times out of 10, it's elsewhere and cheaper. Just pray it's not the evaporator. I did that job myself. It is NOT for the faint of heart--it's only for the highly motivated and determined.

zmatt
12-08-2011, 08:43 AM
The junkyard is your friend my man. Find a junked 202 and the tranny and ac compressor. then take it to an indie mechanic and have him do the swap for you. With the way used car prices are (thanks to cash for clunkers) you really can't get anything better for 3 grand. And the way this economy is I wuoldn't want to buy a car right now unless I could do so out right like I did with my 202.

Sulaco
12-08-2011, 09:04 AM
^^ what he said

plus, you can find a hell of a good deal on a whole parts car. I found a 95 C280 with 300k miles and a blown head gasket for $450. Has a recently rebuilt transmission in it and a known-working AC compressor. If you were close enough to drive, I'd cut you a hell of a deal on them as I do not want to ship them.

timmyj51
12-08-2011, 10:51 AM
You need to get a second, third, even fourth opinion on the tranny. Just because it won't go in reverse doesn't
at all mean the trans shot (which it shouldn't be at only 129K). Might be just a minor repair. And even if you had to completely replace it, with
the compressor, it shouldn't come to anywhere near 3 grand.

MikeD
12-08-2011, 07:41 PM
The mods you made on that C280 probably equal $3000 when parted out. It's definitely worth keeping, especially with OEM Xenons!

mbsickness
12-08-2011, 07:41 PM
^^ what he said

plus, you can find a hell of a good deal on a whole parts car. I found a 95 C280 with 300k miles and a blown head gasket for $450. Has a recently rebuilt transmission in it and a known-working AC compressor. If you were close enough to drive, I'd cut you a hell of a deal on them as I do not want to ship them.

Shipping would be brutal. So far I have not cancelled the appointment so it looks like we are going for the fix. It is going to a guy who specializes in Mercedes transmissions and will be changing the B3 piston. The labor kills for this with the R&R of the tranny. I should be out in the neighborhood of $1300. A month or so ago I had a indie shop test the AC and with dye they confirmed that the compressor was leaking so here is where another $1100 goes. I'll keep you posted.

mbsickness
12-09-2011, 09:40 PM
People like to think they are giving you good advice by telling you to scrap it and go into debt for something slightly better but far more expensive (on a month-to-month basis) to drive.

So first and foremost the verdict is to fix the car as you guys have all made good points that cannot be refuted. What I find interesting is that both of my folks have advised me to fix the car while everyone else (excluding you guys of course) say move on and get a new car....one person suggested a used Camry..Ugh! Interesting is that my folks know what it is like to be without and how hard it is to earn a dollar. I guess what I am saying is that it seems the people who know the value of a dollar and how it doesn't come easy have less of the throw away attitude we see too often today. Thanks to all for your inputs.....you guys were the voice of reason.

MikeD
12-10-2011, 12:07 PM
A/C compressor does not cost $1100! Look around for people on craigslist that sell OEM Mercedes parts because I got mine for $150, brand new.

mbsickness
12-10-2011, 01:33 PM
A/C compressor does not cost $1100! Look around for people on craigslist that sell OEM Mercedes parts because I got mine for $150, brand new.

Well, $1100 is for a rebuilt compressor installed as I'm not ready to tackle the intricacies of an AC system.

97C28O
12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
If you part out, let me know! =] But I understand what you're going through. I don't have much work to put in as you do but recently all the CEL, Brakes, Sensors. the bill adds up, but I love the classic look of the W202..

anf6789
12-11-2011, 09:15 PM
once you drive a M104 C280, any car driven afterwords will be compared to it. Nothing that I have driven so far gives me the joy I get out of driving mine. w211 e55? fast as shit..yes, w202?? not even close. I cant explain it. Even with my 17 year old suspension, loose tie rods, ect. 100mph feels like 75mph in a Ford. Keep it, or give it to me!!!

SD202
12-12-2011, 09:31 AM
+1 if you dont want it i have plenty of use for a M104 c280

Sulaco
12-12-2011, 11:15 AM
that is probably the best looking preupdate c280 I've ever seen, and I've seen alot.

mbsickness
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
that is probably the best looking preupdate c280 I've ever seen, and I've seen alot.

Thanks for the kind words. The car's appearance is one of the reasons I decided to begin the repairs on the car. So far the transmission has been fixed. The LB3 piston was changed along with all the reverse clutches. The AC compressor is getting replaced next week......things are beginning to come together.

mbsickness
12-30-2011, 09:08 PM
I know I made the right decision fixing the car. I had the A/C compressor replaced and drove the car straight to my mom's house so she could drive the car while her car is being repaired (HUGE nightmare problem with her W203). Anyway I have been without my car for two weeks so far and I truly miss driving it. Don't get me wrong, the ML and C36 are fun but the C280 just fits like a worn in pair of slippers. Of course according to the Mercedes dealer the W203 will be at least another two weeks.....the anticipated wait is driving me nuts.

Sulaco
01-01-2012, 04:17 AM
I definitely feel you there. I've had my pre update c280 since ninety nine and its like my third arm. I was lucky enough to upgrade to a c43 late ly when my old faithful became too far gone to mess with. I didn't scrap her. I instead elected to keep her and restore her at some point.

I miss driving her almost daily. The c43 is a dream come true, but I miss my old friend.

Still super jealous. Yours is gorgeous. OEM xenon???

mbsickness
01-01-2012, 08:10 AM
OEM xenon???

Yes OEM setup. Got them years back from Bekkers who used to import them.

Sulaco
01-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Such a lucky dog. I'll bet both your w202s have oem xenon too :P

I'm so torn as to whether or not to yank the aftermarket xenon in my c43 and go back to stock. If I could find the fabled w202 oem xenons for less than a million billion dollars, then I wouldn't be so torn.

mbsickness
01-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Such a lucky dog. I'll bet both your w202s have oem xenon too :P

You guessed right. I converted the C36 first and then the C280. I have seen at least two sets of OEM Xenons over the past few years pop up on eBay so they are out there. Personally I would go back to stock if I were you as the glare from the aftermarket kits are a dead giveaway that it isn't OEM.

mbsickness
01-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Here is a passenger side one (not my auction BTW)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-00-MERCEDES-C-CLASS-C280-C300-C240-C230-HEADLIGHT-HID-XENON-GENUINE-L-/200693892116?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eba49c414#ht_500wt_1180

mbsickness
01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Well I started this thread a little over a month ago and today marks the day where all items on the laundry list will be completed. Transmission shifts and drives like new, AC is ice cold, serpentine belt changed, fresh Mobil 1 in the crankcase, new set of Michelin Pilot Sports, and it is getting an alignment done as I type this message. All said and one this ended up being close to a $3K refesh/rebuild of some key systems in the car and so far not regretting my decision. Thanks all for the positive encouragement.