PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out system

chimchongdlight
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
So I've been flushing my coolant system out for a couple days now. It seems like the water will not turn clear. It'll be clear then I'll ply the drain and wait and do it again. Then it'll turn a little dirty again. And clear again etc etc. I know I'm getting something mixed with the coolant. Either it's really dirty in there with rust or grime or oil or watever it is. I've been trying to flush it out just using regular water. Well I'm beginning to think that it's never going to work. Is there an additive I can add into the system like some kind of degreaser I can use to clean it all up safely? I don't want to damage anything. I'm not sure where this "oil" or whatever it is is coming from but I'm trying to narrow it down and find the problem. I'm having no over heating problems or anything out of the ordinary. So I'm hoping it's not a head gasket. Maybe it's the radiator. Hell I've even driven to san Diego and back to sac and no problems so I'm not to worried. Just takin it one step atta time. Hopefully if I get all this grime outta there. It'll be the last of it. Hopefully. If not. Gotta figure something else out

Sulaco
12-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Highly highly unlikely it's oil. Most likely rust. Is the car at operating temperature when you begin to flush it out? Do you have the heater running on high? It could be getting some bleed water from the heating system. Heater cores often fill with murky, rusty water over the years. I know mine appeared to be fine, but I took my heater core out and dumped it out onto the concrete and this REALLY thick, ugly rusty water poured out and left a permanent stain on the concrete sidewalk.

Also, have you tried to open up the drain on the back of the block? Rust can collect back there as well.

It's really difficult to "blow" out all the gunk in your cooling system, as there are many curves, bends, and barriers in the system that ensure the pressure and speed of the flow is the same no matter how hard you are trying to flush it. In one case I had to remove the radiator from the car and flush it from every port at every angle to get all the rust out of it. With it out of the car, I shoved the water hose up the radiator hoses in the car to blow water in/out as many holes as I could. It's a long, messy job, but yields pretty good results in a cooler running MB!

chimchongdlight
12-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Yea I've done and am doing all of that. At the moment when I have the coolant resovior off and heat blasting on hi. I get normal temps like in between 80-100 degrees. Like slightly above the 80 mark. But when I put the cap back on and turn the heat off. It shoots up above the 100 degree mark. Not too much but I didn't want it to go any higher so I cranked the heat back up and un capped. Why do u think it's doing that? Is my 50/50 mixture not exact?

chimchongdlight
12-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Is there an easier way to get the air out? Like an air blessed or something? Squeezing the hose is just gettin over rated. Lol

chimchongdlight
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
U guys think I should just keep with the heat on hi and keep squeezing?

chimchongdlight
12-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Anybody? I need some help

Sulaco
12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I remember this being a hot topic years ago. Search for the word "burping" on the forum. Pay attention to nenad's posts. He's the m104 master.