PDA

View Full Version : Driver Seat

harryt
12-19-2011, 11:06 AM
SO I got a odd problem.

The driver seat moves in every direction as it should EXCEPT it will NOT move forward anymore.

I'm wondering what it could be? I know my sister and I share the car and she's much shorter so she has to move the seat closer always to reach the pedals and I'm a a lot taller, so I have to move it back further. I'm wondering if the back and forth movement of the seat has killed the motor?

Or the door switch could not be working anymore?

I'm going to look further to make sure nothing is jammed underneath the seat. But for wiring, does anyone know how the clips look or which ones to check? I'm just wondering if any power is going to the seat for the forward button.

strictlyspeakin
12-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I'd suspect the switch first. You should be able to take it apart and clean the contacts. If you've got one, use the ohmmeter to test it too. Measure resistance in the various directions.

harryt
12-20-2011, 06:54 PM
How do I open the switch? Do I have to take the whole door interior apart? or can I open it up without having to do so?

I'm thinking it's the switch as well now.

strictlyspeakin
12-21-2011, 11:33 AM
The door skin does need to come off. It's a couple of phillips screws, a 10mm bolt, unscrew the actual plastic lock and then it's down to popping off the trim panel holders (4 I think). Be careful prying those. They have a tendance to separate from the doorskin.

There's a cover on the switch that comes off. I beleive that there is even a write up here in the forum about fixing this switch.

harryt
12-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Well some better news. I KNOW it is not the switch that is the problem. I checked the switch and noticed 12V coming to all the pins from the switch being used in different positions. So power is getting to the seat, but it's gotta be the motor.

One of the smaller motors isn't doing anything.

So now my question is how do I take out the seat?

Someone said it's 4 bolts, but I found them very odd. 2 front bolts were a torx type of bolt and the back had none, but rather were different types connected to the rails.

So I am kinda confused on which are the bolts, how to access them?

strictlyspeakin
12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Pretty sure that the isn't a seperate motor to only drive the seat forward. The same motor that drives it back should be the one that drives it forward. Electric motors don't usually care what direction they go. Reverse the voltage and they'll run in the opposite direction.

Are you saying that you checked voltage at the plug under the seat for your test?

The question about the bolts the front ones you found sound correct. The rear of the rail must attach to the frame. Unfortunately your description isn't enough to confirm.

harryt
12-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Well the main thing is the motor seems fried or stuck or something. Because it moves in all directions perfectly EXCEPT forward.

I was going to take the seat out and clean the motor and check it.

However, the guide someone gave me says in order to move the seat out you need to move it backward to get at the front bolts and forward to get at the rear bolts.

But I can't move forward LOL.... and I can't see the bolts or I think they are being blocked by the rail screws for when the seat moves back

strictlyspeakin
12-25-2011, 09:54 PM
The rears are the same type of bolt that you see in the front. They mount down thru the rail like the front ones do. And yeah if the seat is all the way back, you might not see them.

Allow me to intoduce you to my motto: Nothing is ever easy. :)
In the bottom of my seat, I see 3 motors on my model. And 1 motor drives the seat forward and backwards...just sayin.
M26m1 Fore/aft motor 26L
M26m2 Rear raise/lower motor 23L
M26m3 Front raise/lower motor 25L
M26m4 Head restraint raise/lower motor 28L
M26m5 Seatback fore/aft motor

harryt
12-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah it isn't easy.. but the only thing I can see is maybe hammering the seat forward and hoping no gears break off. I just need about 1-2 inches of room in the back. And, then I can access the rear bolts....

There has to be some manual way to move the seats without the motor.. I mean it doesn't make sense why they would make motored seats and then realize if the motor dies, that you might not be able to access the bolts. They must have made a way to move the seat temporarily without the motor. eg. unhook the motor gears some how so you can unbolt the seat and see yourself.