PDA

View Full Version : Shifting from Park

tracyc
12-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Hey all,
I searched a lot of threads hoping to find an answer to the problem I'm having. I have 2000 C280 Sport. Lately, I'm having trouble shifting out of Park. I've been inserting a rod into the release tab to get out of park. The shifter will then slide though all the gears and into drive. When I want to park, the shifter will only goes as Reverse, then I have to stick the rod back in, to get the shifter back into park. Obviously I'm pressing the brake the whole time.
I did take apart the whole center consol and shifter assembly to check for debree, and cleaned it out. While it was a part, I also check the shifter bushing and to me, it looked fine. There was some play but nothing that really stood out. After I put everything back to gether, I'm getting the same problem....aaarrrggghhh!
Is there something else that I can be looking into? I read on other post/threads about something like a brake light senser? I did have new brake pads installed on all four roters. Could there be a connection between the brakes and the shifter, like maybe the tranny isn't reading that the brakes are pressed? I'm just reaching here cause I'm not sure where to go from here?
If there is anyone who could help me out and give some sort of step by step instruction on what to do next and how to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading...
Tracy

nelius
12-23-2011, 08:54 AM
I wish I could help with fixing it, but could a short term solution be leaving it in neutral with the foot brake? ala manual tranny

tracyc
12-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks, but I would like to resolve the problem. As a side note; I notice now is, that I took the car out for a spin and it won't shift gears. The dash inicator where it shows what you are in (P, R, N & D) are not displaying. It's just a blank display. Is there something I need to do to get this to display gain? Please help!

JA5ON
12-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I had the same issue on my Honda and it was a switch that was on the brake pedal, it was faulty and causing the shifter to think my foot wasnt on the brake, just a thought

tracyc
12-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Can anyone help me out with this? It's great that I'm getting reply fixes for other cars or other types of fixes, but I need someone who has experienced this type of problem and is willingly to give me some kind of direction.
Thanks,
Tracy

JA5ON
12-25-2011, 10:53 AM
just look at the pedal, basically all these cars these days are similar, its impossible to diagnose over the internet

JRE320
12-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks, but I would like to resolve the problem. As a side note; I notice now is, that I took the car out for a spin and it won't shift gears. The dash inicator where it shows what you are in (P, R, N & D) are not displaying. It's just a blank display. Is there something I need to do to get this to display gain? Please help!

I think you have a problem with the computer since it's not showing what you are in. The computer is not sending the message to your transmission.
I had the same problem with my E55 and change the parts for $1000.

strictlyspeakin
12-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Did you check that the Brake light switch? That leads into the Electronic selector lever module control module.

The shift lock might need adjustment or replacement too.

Sulaco
12-26-2011, 04:09 AM
My peeupdate model has a coated steel cable from brake pedal lever to shift box. It connected on the left side of it. I unscrewed it and pulled it out of the shift box. No more locking mechanism to keep me from shifting while rolling or without foot on the brake. A temporary fix, obviously.

tracyc
12-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, today I replaced the brake light switch (oem) but the problem is still there. The car won't shift from park to reverse unless I insert a tool into the emergency release tab. I won't go back into park once in drive. Also the dash indicator is still blank where it show the gear (P,R,N & D). Am I looking at replacing the floor stifter assembly next? Thanks!

JRE320
12-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Why don't you bring it to mechanic so you'll find out?