PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recently bought replacement keys or tumbler?

0yorkie0
12-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Yesterday my key broke inside my ignition. To make things worse in the 1 position. After ripping the old switch apart and swapping it with a spare switch with a working key and tumbler. Im now stuck with the chance of my flog loosing its function, locking me out of my car.

SOOOO.. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their tumbler and key lately. I was quoted between 45-300 for the replacement key alone. Ive search on here and online with MANY different prices and options. I read in a couple places that some people got keys with their dealer tumblers, and others didnt. Some people picked up a replacement key for $50 US and $60 US for the tumbler..

Basically I was just curious and havent seen any up to date pricing.

0yorkie0
12-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I guess I shouldve also mentioned its a 1996 c220 base with a standard switchblade key

Sulaco
12-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I've got a brand new mint tumbler with key I got for $50 new in box. I never installed it, because the key didn't match the door locks. If you want the tumbler to match the key that came with the car and matches all the locks on the car, you're going to have to shell out more than $50. The dealer wants a shitload for it, but I've heard there are some sites that can VIN-match a new tumbler and key for $130'ish. Too bad I don't know what sites.

wichipong
12-29-2011, 10:30 PM
i just got a valet key for like 20 bucks.. i have a 95 c220

0yorkie0
12-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the info..
I was expecting about 120-130 to get it all straightened out. Honestly, I was wanting the full matching locks, but I will have to talk to a dealer about it. If the tumbler comes with a key(which some have received with their replacement tumblers) I will go that route.. But if they dont, I will just grab a duplicate key so I will be able to lock my doors without the fear of lock out.