PDA

View Full Version : Emission problems

RicardoW202
01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
I have a 99c230 komp, I took it to emissions today and it failed. It failed HC(hydrocarbons) and CO(carbon monoxide. Does any one knw what might be causing this??? I was thinking fuel regulator or some sensor but I really dont know. Id appreciate.any help. Thanks

Sulaco
01-18-2012, 11:03 AM
It's not giving a Check Engine light and they failed it?

strictlyspeakin
01-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I failed for high CO and did not have a CEL.
Short version of my story.
I changed the plugs, 2 new Oxygen sensors, raised the idle speed and ran a treatment of injector cleaner thru it. These helped some but didn't get me all the way there.
Since I was out of options, the way mine got "fixed" was to take it to an emissions repair facility. They ran some super cleaner thru the injector to clean the carbon out of the cylinders which causes it to burn hot enough need new plugs. I'm being cynical but my take on the subject is more like a wink and a nod. You hand over some money and they'll hand over a sticker.

How are your plugs? Changing them is easy and cheap enough. Then you could try running a fuel system cleaner treatment thru it and fill it up with high octane; one with ethanol if it's available. Also make sure the car is thoroughly warmed up before you drive in to the station.

Don't leap straight to the O2 sensor - it's expensive and if they were bad you'd probably get a light.

RicardoW202
01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Ive always done regular maintance things on my cars but Ive heard these cars are really delicate. Would you recomend I take it to a shop for any of these things???

hvmercy
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
definitely. otherwise, you'd fail again. Let the pro handle it.

Ive always done regular maintance things on my cars but Ive heard these cars are really delicate. Would you recomend I take it to a shop for any of these things???

RicardoW202
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Ok thanks. Is there anyone familiar with how the supercharger on the 99 c230 komp works???

strictlyspeakin
01-23-2012, 08:27 PM
You'll be fine doing the regular maintenance and stuff like changing the plugs. If you've done it before...same socket different hole.
And I'd definitely try those suggestions before handing it over to the shop. What is the worst that can happen? You fail again. At that point you can turn it over knowing that at least you tried something and it didn't cost a fortune in the failure.