PDA

View Full Version : color matching the pre facelift body

cameron_1292
01-25-2012, 06:30 AM
has anyone color matched the skirts and lower part of the front and rear bumper on their pre facelift 202? saw a kompressor yesterday and it got me thinking that it would make mine look really nice. the kompressor was white also, like my car and after looking at the lower skirts it seemed the design is the same as mine but mine is just black. so if anyone has done this let me know and if it worked out before i waste my time and money lol.

SD202
01-25-2012, 08:54 AM
the pre face lift models have a different style rocker panel/ side skirt than the updated models do. I would suggest trying to find a 98 and up kompressor or any W202 at a junkyard and pull the rocker panels from it instead.

cameron_1292
01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
the pre face lift models have a different style rocker panel/ side skirt than the updated models do. I would suggest trying to find a 98 and up kompressor or any W202 at a junkyard and pull the rocker panels from it instead.

yea that is a good idea ill for sure look out for some but do you think it would look fine if i did get it matched?

hvmercy
01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
You should be fine. I did so in my 97 C230.
I actually just bought the color matched spray can from a local automotive paint store and did mine in my garage.
yea that is a good idea ill for sure look out for some but do you think it would look fine if i did get it matched?

cameron_1292
01-25-2012, 10:18 AM
You should be fine. I did so in my 97 C230.
I actually just bought the color matched spray can from a local automotive paint store and did mine in my garage.
i also have a 97 230. its white and im having a body shop put on a c36 front bumper on this week and their painting it so i figured wile it was there i would just have them paint the skirts and the rear black trim because the new bumper wont have the black. but do u mind posting a picture of yours?

SD202
01-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Please post pics of this done. Ive been contemplating it forever now but have seen the pre face lift side skirts come out terrible also. some people get great results. If you got a C36 bumper getting put on the car just save up for the sides and rear or else the front end of your car is going to look bulkier and lower than the rest of the cars lines.

cameron_1292
01-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Please post pics of this done. Ive been contemplating it forever now but have seen the pre face lift side skirts come out terrible also. some people get great results. If you got a C36 bumper getting put on the car just save up for the sides and rear or else the front end of your car is going to look bulkier and lower than the rest of the cars lines.

yea thats why i was gonna wait to paint it to see how the bumper came out and if it does look uneven i was going to get the rest

hvmercy
01-26-2012, 12:08 PM
They're in the members gallery forum.
here's a Link to my latest photoshoot (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?16457-New-set-of-tires-deserves-a-photo-shoot)
i also have a 97 230. its white and im having a body shop put on a c36 front bumper on this week and their painting it so i figured wile it was there i would just have them paint the skirts and the rear black trim because the new bumper wont have the black. but do u mind posting a picture of yours?

wichipong
01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
i have my front and rear bumpers color matched and the trim painted body color too (white car, grey mouldings)

still saving up to finish the rest... im retrofitting facelift skirts on a pre-facelift body...

chimchongdlight
01-27-2012, 01:24 AM
@wichipong. How hard is it to dO the facelift sides on a pre-facelift? That's the route I'm going to go with too

wichipong
01-27-2012, 06:05 AM
@wichipong. How hard is it to dO the facelift sides on a pre-facelift? That's the route I'm going to go with too

i need to find out if they make a mounting template for them... i have the skirts already i just need to have them painted then installed..

chimchongdlight
01-27-2012, 09:02 AM
i need to find out if they make a mounting template for them... i have the skirts already i just need to have them painted then installed..

Do u know if they fit right on top of the pre-facelift? Or do we have to pull off something and then put the skirt on?

hvmercy
01-27-2012, 09:11 AM
They snap right on. Remove the cover where the jack goes into then snap on the facelift skirts.

Do u know if they fit right on top of the pre-facelift? Or do we have to pull off something and then put the skirt on?

hvmercy
01-27-2012, 09:13 AM
what template? There's nothing there.
Ensure you have all the plastic fasteners that goes underneath.

chimchongdlight
01-27-2012, 09:15 AM
They snap right on. Remove the cover where the jack goes into then snap on the facelift skirts.
Sweet. Yea I just read that in the other thread. Thanks

wichipong
01-27-2012, 07:55 PM
what template? There's nothing there.
Ensure you have all the plastic fasteners that goes underneath.

hmmm... imma check that when i got the time... i thought there are clips on the top part...

anf6789
02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Just got me some updated side skirts of a lowly c230 trade-in that was going off to the wholesaler. Black. hopefully they go on my preupdate c280 pretty easily. I love when we get a random 202 in, and so does my car! lol

cameron_1292
02-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Just got me some updated side skirts of a lowly c230 trade-in that was going off to the wholesaler. Black. hopefully they go on my preupdate c280 pretty easily. I love when we get a random 202 in, and so does my car! lol

just brought my car to the shop to so the guys can get the codes for painting my new bumper and i enquired about painting the bottom trim to match the car and to my surprise he actually told me he has done it before. 4 times to be exact and he said it looks great he recently did it to a c280 about 4 months ago. so i guess for the mean time i will paint that then maybe get the rest of the c36 kit.

c230
02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Also note that the door moldings are rounder than the pre-face lifted model.

ll1l2l1l2lll
02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't paint it any color besides black. The rocker panels on my car is not smooth and is textured. If you painted it white, it'd look extra weird. Find a facelifted sides and use those.