PDA

View Full Version : spring cutting help

hello1234
02-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Is it safe to cut stock springs on a c230k 2000? Will there be a ton of bounce on the road?

hvmercy
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
probably. a lot of members here have done so.

But I have to ask. Why not just get a lowering spring like Eibach or H&R?

hello1234
02-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Because at the moment, I have no cash. And im saving up for coilovers. So for now, im just settling with cutting stock springs, and buy some new shocks and struts.

hvmercy
02-16-2012, 11:25 AM
In my opinion, cutting the spring is not the best way. However it's your car so you can do as you please.
Saving for coilovers? I would too. but there's too many factors involved and doesn't make the most economic sense.
I think SD202 who's a member here can give a better perspective.

For your reference, 7 years ago I spent $800 modifying my suspension. That includes eibach springs, koni shocks and labor. At that time, I didn't know if coilovers were
an option. I have since replaced the konis with bilstein to suit my liking.

Search the suspension forum for this subject. You'll be surprised how much information there are about this.

chimchongdlight
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Coils for our cars is a waste of time from what I've been gathering. U will have to modify a lot of components. Coils is a spring and shock together type ordeal. Our cars, the spring n shocks are separate. So how would u put coils without major mods?

wichipong
02-16-2012, 02:12 PM
just do lowering springs!! i can even help you install it...

nelius
02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
get lowering springs and cut THOSE if you want lower. You see all the hondas bouncing all over the freeway? its cuz they have cut STOCK springs. Lowering springs have a much stiffer spring rate and will not bounce even if you cut them. I've done so in the front and it is not bouncy. and instead of saving for coilovers, just get shocks along with your springs. It's basically the same thing you just can't adjust the height. We do have spring pads on top of our springs so you can play around with those to lower/raise it about an inch. Hope this answers all your questions.

wichipong
02-16-2012, 08:03 PM
get lowering springs and cut THOSE if you want lower. You see all the hondas bouncing all over the freeway? its cuz they have cut STOCK springs. Lowering springs have a much stiffer spring rate and will not bounce even if you cut them. I've done so in the front and it is not bouncy. and instead of saving for coilovers, just get shocks along with your springs. It's basically the same thing you just can't adjust the height. We do have spring pads on top of our springs so you can play around with those to lower/raise it about an inch. Hope this answers all your questions.

'nuff said!!

ditto... :D

Z3ds
02-17-2012, 03:00 AM
No For Sale threads are allowed in the technical forums. Post in classifieds only please.

JRE320
02-17-2012, 02:16 PM
No For Sale threads are allowed in the technical forums. Post in classifieds only please.

Who's selling and what they're selling?

SD202
02-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Is it safe to cut stock springs on a c230k 2000? Will there be a ton of bounce on the road?
cut springs is a touchy subject with benz owners it seems like.... Though its not like you're going to jump the car over a river, Dukes Of Hazard style. You WILL need to couple the cut springs together with a sport strut or you will bounce around because you will be riding bottomed out on bump stops of the stock struts. You're going to have to shell out money one way or another when modifying suspension. even if you plan to cut the stock springs. its not a "free" way to lower your car its just the cheap way. a nice set of sport struts will run you around $400 for a set. lowering springs are around $250. If you dont have a mercedes specific spring compressor and are attempting this yourself you are going to have a nightmare getting the front springs out with a mcpherson style compressor or none at all. I have tried both ways both ended in failure and me having to borrow a Benz specific spring compressor from a buddy. Or you can disregard anything said in this thread and get out there and cut the stock springs and leave the stock struts and bounce like a "gangsta" haha!

hello1234
02-21-2012, 10:00 PM
cut springs is a touchy subject with benz owners it seems like.... Though its not like you're going to jump the car over a river, Dukes Of Hazard style. You WILL need to couple the cut springs together with a sport strut or you will bounce around because you will be riding bottomed out on bump stops of the stock struts. You're going to have to shell out money one way or another when modifying suspension. even if you plan to cut the stock springs. its not a "free" way to lower your car its just the cheap way. a nice set of sport struts will run you around $400 for a set. lowering springs are around $250. If you dont have a mercedes specific spring compressor and are attempting this yourself you are going to have a nightmare getting the front springs out with a mcpherson style compressor or none at all. I have tried both ways both ended in failure and me having to borrow a Benz specific spring compressor from a buddy. Or you can disregard anything said in this thread and get out there and cut the stock springs and leave the stock struts and bounce like a "gangsta" haha!

What exactly is a spring compressor and what does it do? Sorry Lol. Im a noob.

wichipong
02-21-2012, 11:15 PM
What exactly is a spring compressor and what does it do? Sorry Lol. Im a noob.

it compresses the spring so it is easier to take it out?!?

ypkx
02-22-2012, 04:47 AM
it compresses the spring so it is easier to take it out?!?

yes, but DONT GO FOR THE CHEAP COMPRESSORS. I've had a friend lose an eye because of his ebay bargain.

chimchongdlight
02-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Are u serious? He lost an eye?

mbsickness
02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
yes, but DONT GO FOR THE CHEAP COMPRESSORS. I've had a friend lose an eye because of his ebay bargain.

Holy smokes. Always a good reminder how dangerous suspension work is. Perfect reminder for me as I'm about to change springs. Was the failed compressor a Klann knockoff?

hvmercy
02-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Careful when working on those suspension springs folks. Always remember "SAFETY FIRST"

wichipong
02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
wear safety goggles and gloves!! be aware of whats around you!!

ypkx
02-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Are u serious? He lost an eye?

Yep, nothing went through his eye but the shear force of the spring hit his eye so hard it gave way and lost his sight immediately. It was horrific.. Never seen my friend so scared for life :/

Holy smokes. Always a good reminder how dangerous suspension work is. Perfect reminder for me as I'm about to change springs. Was the failed compressor a Klann knockoff?

I dont remember what brand the compressor was, but ever since then, Ive made bloody well sure I'm safe, and whoever is helping me is safe. we usually tie it down with the compressors and if it still needs a little force we would wrap a thick rag/towel round it in case it pops.