PDA

View Full Version : what will happen to the LEDs if I hook them up to the auto-fade dome lights?

bobcat
10-16-2003, 06:28 PM
what will happen to the LEDs if I hook them up to the auto-fade dome lights? (the kind that fades away after the door is closed)

Is this bad for the LEDs? (amber ones, in my case)

Thanks! :bunny:

ryhi
10-16-2003, 07:01 PM
i hav dome leds n they have been fine since i got them...it kinda fades on and off when opening/closing, but it isnt as noticeable as regular bulbs. if u need useable light, i would recomend using the stock bulbs. LED's just LOOK cool...

bobcat
10-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
i hav dome leds n they have been fine since i got them...it kinda fades on and off when opening/closing, but it isnt as noticeable as regular bulbs. if u need useable light, i would recomend using the stock bulbs. LED's just LOOK cool...

I got a couple of real superbright LEDs. They were parts from a marine chart light on a ship... the LEDs project a 1-ft circle of white light from a distance of 2 feet. (which is about the distance from the dome light to my lap) they are brighter than the 1157 bulb used in the back-up light... $72 each LED

they fit perfectly in the dome light houseing, after drilling two 1/4" holes. however, I'm concerned about the affects the auto-fade on LEDs...

jnolte
10-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Are LEds even that cool? I think i would just rather have the original bulb!! LEds are tight for the rear light and blinkers but for the Dome light i would just go original;)

Ozzie Bob
10-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by bobcat
I'm concerned about the affects the auto-fade on LEDs... So you've got LED puddle lights then? Well, I didn't have any problems in the ML, and I'm sure the door lights faded just like the interior lights did! :)