PDA

View Full Version : what snow tires have you guys tried? which do you recommend? Thanks!

bobcat
10-16-2003, 06:29 PM
what snow tires have you guys tried? which do you recommend? Thanks!

jnolte
10-16-2003, 06:55 PM
Stock c-class idk i dont use them

98c43amg
10-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by bobcat
what snow tires have you guys tried? which do you recommend? Thanks!

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 rulez!

I Use them on my C43.

Plus they come in the right sizes to allow me to use the stock staggered AMG rims.

SLAMMED_C
10-16-2003, 08:30 PM
I have Pirelli 210 snowsports on my W202... 205/55/16 for last winter.. this year I'm gettin new winter rims.. C-coupe Evo wheels with Pirelli 210 snowsports 225/45/17. nice tire.

MBATF
10-16-2003, 11:21 PM
from my expriences...C-klass + snow =SUCKS!!

even with my snow tires....spend few $4000.00-$8000.00 to get a old 4x4 Jeep or something....

i had 4 bad happens to me and cost me more time and money.....

edub
10-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Agreed With MBATF..

C-class can't run if Snow Comes.. Sux !!!

THat's the bad thing about Rear wheel drive...:confused:

MBATF
10-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by edub
Agreed With MBATF..

C-class can't run if Snow Comes.. Sux !!!

THat's the bad thing about Rear wheel drive...:confused: lol one time i actually drove in revers for abou 1 miles, cuz my car keep slip out of teh road or spin to head toward teh wrong way, so then i decide...f*ck it...i m just gonna keep it reverse. tell the Nevada& CHP police pulled me over asked me if i was drunk...lol:D

MrSpace
10-17-2003, 04:07 PM
pffft

you guy don't know how to drive in winter

In quebec we have bad winters, and we have many MBs.

I drive a rear wheel drive car, no weight in the trunk since my suspension is finished and my ABS don't work and I have no anti slip control.

never had an accident with that car.

But also, maybe, and probably, our roads are better cleaned from snow and salted more often since we have cold winters

Etienne

98c43amg
10-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by MBATF
from my expriences...C-klass + snow =SUCKS!!

even with my snow tires....spend few $4000.00-$8000.00 to get a old 4x4 Jeep or something....

EXACTLY what I just did two weeks ago! (even though I was very happy with the LM-22s). Got a '97 Jeep 4.0L
:D

But then again, Jeeps suk in the snow too, if you don't have good snow tires.
;)

Trick with my car [C43] when in the snow with snow tires is you have to turn traction control off before you hit a hill. Then get the car's tires spinning, and spin all the way up the hill. Rear kicks out a few degrees the whole way. Really really freaks the people behind you out!
:banana:

But I'll be 100% honest. My snows are totally worn down (lasted two winter seasons). Now that I have the Jeep, I won't be replacing the snows this year, and will keep the car in the garage if there's any risk of snow.

MrSpace
10-17-2003, 07:32 PM
I do those slides everyday in winter.. since I don't have traction control and bad rear traction...

That's the nice part about driving in the snow. rwd is better han fwd for fun.. but an awd is even better.

Etienne

SLAMMED_C
10-18-2003, 01:26 PM
I've aso heard that Michelin Pilot Alpins r a good snow tire.. a lil pricey.. but really nice.

MrSpace
10-18-2003, 09:38 PM
oh, to answer the question, Blizzaks are, by far, the best winter tires imo.

But they don't last long,so if you have a mild winter, I would not recommend them.

Etienne

toamend
10-19-2003, 07:50 AM
On the C230K sedan I used 4 Pilot Alpins, and had no trouble at all during our cruel New England winters. I have a ski house 3hrs away and made the trip most weekends, snowstorms and all. It's more of driving carefully, starting stopping and turning leaving a margin for error. That car made it up steep grades and through fairly deep snow with no issues at all.

When I picked up my C43 last year in December I immediately drove 1100 miles home to Boston- 500 miles of that was in a very bad snowstorm in upstate NY. The car has the stock Conti summer tires on it. That was freakin scary, but I was determined not to land my car in a ditch on the first drive home, so I was careful. That doesn't mean driving 30mph like a weenie, either.

I just put cheap Sumitomos on it for this year, cause I do have 2 other vehicles to drive for the grocery runs, and it it's really bad I'll leave the C43 in the garage. I'm also sick of buying $250 tires and then finding nails, screws, and other shit in them after a few months and needing to replace them anyway.
WTS

GDawgC220
10-22-2003, 06:10 PM
I've driven through a few winters in MA. It just takes some practice after driving through enough snow to know your cars limits and how to handle your car.

With a 94 C220, no weight in the rear and no traction control, ya learn how to drive in this crazy weather :D
and this is with the stock Michelins (first winter) then some BFGoodriches (i was on a budget :( )

This year i got conti all season (CH95 i think). They're on my p-rents S500 and that made it through, so I think I can handle it ;)

-G-

MBenzNL
10-22-2003, 10:42 PM
I have 17inch Nokian snowtires (since last winterseason) but haven't had much snow yet...before that I used Vredestein Snowtrac on 15inch steel...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADTAscV5yDC5Lsvg8NNQpzk4RHn*PhXgKYaw0gqbBSVXfQ9W Cb!2EhWSJjTQ1MXj*7jrYWwIGsnnY655OCRhZ72xJjRv38B7aN SS2EooDEzAAAArXJUAg/avantg-17rim6.jpg?dc=4675405081598384922

greetingz,

98c43amg
10-23-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by MBenzNL
I have 17inch Nokian snowtires (since last winterseason) but haven't had much snow yet...before that I used Vredestein Snowtrac on 15inch steel...

Oh, that's right, Nokian. My brother in-law, who owns an Inn in Vermont, said everyone there uses Nokian, and he claims they're said to be the best snow tires on the planet.
:eek:

They leave their snow tires on the car all year 'round.