PDA

View Full Version : any advice before I go to stealership

huntsvegas202
03-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Hey guys its me again I posteda thread awhile back about my coolant leaking out come to find out k hahave no wetness n passenger side heater core replacement is next but before I go to that extreme wouldnt a faulty thermostat cause all of this ruckus :confused:

Sulaco
03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
gonna need more info. Year and model? Other things you've tried? Other places you've looked?

huntsvegas202
03-11-2012, 10:19 AM
97c230 doin some research on other sites and seekin all info as we speak will gt back to u havnt tried anything yet been busy with work gonna start tackling the issue tommorro
w

strictlyspeakin
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
faulty thermostat would either be stuck open or stuck closed. what is the issue again?

huntsvegas202
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I have coolant leaking out and steam upon my windshield there is not wetness on my passenger side footwells so the thermostat seem most logical I may as well replace hoses also I have replaced water pump already do u suggezt anything else and dnt say the dreaded heater core word lol

Sulaco
03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't think it's the thermostat or anything toward the front of the engine. If it's steaming the windshield then it's very much in the rear of the engine compartment. If it were the heater core, you'd have steam coming out of the vents in the cabin and making it hot as hell in there--plus you'd have a strong coolant smell coming from the vents. There are several places near the firewall where it sends the coolant: on the back of the head and on the drivers side (UK drivers side, that is) where all the fancy electronic components are. That's where it connects to the electromagnetic duo valve and sends/receives the heater core. There are like 5 connections there that could be loose or coolant hoses that could have failed.

Just start it, drive it a good 5-10 minutes to get it up to temperature. Turn the AC on as cold as it will go to induce more heat from the engine. Pop the hood while it's running and look for the origin of the steam.

huntsvegas202
03-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Wow man thanks knowledge is power goin to tackle it first thing in the mornin will update u on it again
thanks

strictlyspeakin
03-13-2012, 10:18 AM
I definitely agree about the coolant smell. You'll smell it if it was leaking in the cabin.
If you run in economy mode so the A/C is not running, does it still steam up?

Pardon me if you've answered these questions before
The steam is definitely on the inside of the windshield?
Have you taken the rugs up to make sure there's nothing down there?

huntsvegas202
03-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Jus got off work I just started car and will b wit yall wit definitive answers in about 16-20 minute

huntsvegas202
03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Im screwed steam is definitely coming from inside cabin pulled up my passenger side carpet and there we DO have a wey azz floorboard Dag Nabbit now im checkin to see if I can visibly inspect where its coming from there goes my tax money

Sulaco
03-13-2012, 02:32 PM
daaaaamn. don't get discouraged. a heater core swap can run in the THOUSANDS as it requires complete removal of the dashboard.

hvmercy
03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
OMG!

a heater core swap can run in the THOUSANDS as it requires complete removal of the dashboard.

huntsvegas202
03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Ive contacted a reputable import car repair shop so far we are at 1400 hell the actual heater core is less than 200 bucks its the friggin labor u r right a complete dashout that's ok while its there I may as we do a transmission fluid change since whn I get it out next come body kit paint and then wheels

Sulaco
03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
I cannot stress this enough:

prior to your visit, you may as well diagnose any other potential problems. Because to find out 3 months from now you have an A/C leak in the evaporator, you'll set the car on fire and collect insurance.

Test for evaporator leak! Do a vacuum test to make sure all the vacuum bellows under the dash work! Do all your vents open and shut properly according to the settings on the automatic ac/heat?

huntsvegas202
03-13-2012, 05:48 PM
I will do exactly that I was talkin to a few folks and they seem to think that heater cores goin out is not all that common even with the age of car 97 so I may just be worried for nothing will be goin to do that pressure test tomorrow

hvmercy
03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
My C230 is 1997 model and my A/C, heater are all original. I haven't even had an R134 recharge to this point. I always flush my coolant at the beginning of summer using 60/40 ratio.
Judging from your screen name you definitely need A/C and Coolant flush maintenance more often than we do in Northern California.

strictlyspeakin
03-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Listen you can do the heater core install yourself. It's scary by not impossible. I just did one on my wife's car.
The reason it's scary is just the amount of stuff you have to take apart to get to it, but none of it is particularly hard. It took me a day and a little to take down, a day to put back up, and 5 daysin the middle cause they had to special order the dang part.

neilrr
03-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I'd throw a bottle of K Seal into it before spending 1400.