PDA

View Full Version : Loss Of Power?

KingDEL23
03-11-2012, 07:28 PM
So, I'm driving on the highway and I go to pass a car so I tap the tiptronic to downshift to 4th to gain some speed, and I was around 3500rpms surging pretty hard past the car and then the car lost power (car sputtered almost like a spark plug or coil went dead) and dropped to about 3000rpms. The check engine light immediately illuminated as soon as the car lost rpms, and I basically coasted off the exit. When stopped at the traffic light the car was shaking and vibrating (the gear selector knob was shaking back and forth), and the car felt like it was running on 2 cylinders. I got home and let the car keep running and the exhaust sounded like it was missing a beat, and the engine was distinctly throbbing. I got my scanner out and P0302 (Cylinder 2 Misfire), and a fuel trim malfunction in which I cannot remember the code for. But after hours of sitting I started the car back up, and drove it around and it was fine. No check engine light, no vibration, shaking, the car sounded smooth again. I still don't understand how this happened, and how it seemed to correct itself? Is this a sign something is about to go seriously wrong?

hvmercy
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
you were spot on the coil pack issue.
The symptoms seems to point to it exactly. After letting it cool off it will run normal again.
I'd replace it all as well as the plugs while you're at it if I were you, for peace of mind.

Exact thing happened to me a year ago. Good luck and let us know the results. Thanks.

strictlyspeakin
03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Sounds like the car went into limp mode. No lasting code, I wouldn't go crazy about it yet. Only had it happen to me once and it's nerve wracking. Around that time I think I had to replace the cranshaft position sensor, but I can not remember it if was related to that incident or not.

KingDEL23
03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Okay I will definitely get this done as soon as possible, but any suggestions of what spark plugs to put in? Bosch Plat 4's? or NGK?

Sulaco
03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Bosch OEM only. Aftrermarket high dollar plugs have an extra resistor and are wrong heat range. Us Bosch f8dc4 (I think).