PDA

View Full Version : '98 C250 DT 722.612 tranny acting up.

neilrr
03-12-2012, 05:25 AM
It's quite possible this problem isn't transmission related, but that is my best guess at the moment. I'm wide open to any other suggestions.

The 722.612 auto transmission in my recent purchase, a 1998 W202 C250 Elegance Diesel Turbo, is starting to act up. I'm not normally a diesel guy but bought this as my daily thrash because of it's history, condition & because it has an interesting engine, a DOHC 5 cylinder, 4 valve, intercooled turbo with surprisingly sprightly performance & pretty good economy. It also runs quite happily on veg oil, which is much cheaper than diesel.

Occasionally it feels like it's trying to pull away from a stop in much too high a gear. It makes no difference if I manually shift to 1st or 2nd or any other gear, it still pulls away very sluggishly. If I move the shifter up to P & then back into D it will select the correct, lower gear & pull away as it should.

Also, occasionally after brisk acceleration it will hang onto a lower gear far too long & be reluctant to change up after I've eased off the accelerator or even taken my foot off it completely & coasted.

Had it on a Star & there are no g/b or engine faults showing, ATF level was good. ATF was changed in July '07, 42K miles ago, when a new transmission control unit (026 545 91 32) was also installed, all at a n MB dealer. The car has 124K on the clock now.

This is a car with full history & every receipt from day one (including factory collection paperwork) that I bought from the original owner, a wealthy, retired 70-ish year old who looked after it properly & never abused it. TBH I'm no longer sure whether it's a gearbox issue or an engine one. Might even be something neither I nor the MB independent who Starred it have thought of.

Anybody got any idea what the problem could be?

TIA.

neilrr
03-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Anybody?

Sulaco
03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
That gearbox will always hold the gears for an excessive length of time after heavy acceleration. It's MB's first attempt at making an automatic more "enthusiastic" in sporting conditions. My 1999 C43 AMG does it every single time.

As for the starting off in the incorrect gear, I've no idea. I'd suggest clearing the transmission's memory. There's a youtube video somewhere. It involves sitting in the car, holding the pedal all the way past the kick down switch, turning key off, waiting 3 minutes or something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYVAOr6uJbI <-- walkthrough.

Everytime I know I'm posting to someone in the UK, I find myself using UK terminology and typing in Jeremy Clarkson's voice, or sometimes May or Hammond.

neilrr
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Sulaco,

Thanks for that link.

I tried the re-setting procedure a day after you posted & so far so good, the problem appears to have been eliminated.

The problem was intermittent so I don't know whether this will be a permanent cure but it looks promising.

Just curious, how would you have written your post to someone not in the UK? More "dudes", "bros" & "awesomes" or what? ;)

neilrr
03-26-2012, 03:48 AM
The problem has come back after about 200 miles.

It's off to the MB man next week for an investigation of mounts, bushes & other possible physical causes.