PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used set

chimchongdlight
03-12-2012, 10:15 AM
So i found a used set of h and r sports and bilsteins on my local CL. Gonna be picking then up soon when i find the time. All the part numbers match up with the website so im ready to go. He even said it comes with "rubber inserts" im guessing thats the spring pad. Not sure what number at the moment. So i guess i have a couple questions.

1. Are there numbers on the pad itself so when i pick them up ill be able to tell?
2. Anyone got this set up on there car with 18s? If so, please post pics, im running 18x8.5 in the front and 18x10 in the rear. Forgot the offset to be honest. Prolly like a 35 but im runnin 15-20mm spacers all around. Forgot exactly what size
3. Whos gonna help me put these on?!?! I live in an apt and we arent able to work on cars. Hella weak!!

I prolly wont be putting them on anytime soon tho due to i have to get smaller tires in the front since itll rub like crazy, i just put the tire on bc
I had them already.

Heres one of the pics the seller sent me. He said when he bought the car it had 100k on the car. And he decided to put it back to stock
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/chimchongdlight/2306d50c.jpg

mbsickness
03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Congrats on the purchase. I saw these and if I had another 202 I would have snapped these up. All the spring pads I have ever seen have had the MB part number on them as well as the dots or nubs. These are the later double rollled springs that use the spring pads that start with a 210 part number. If your car is a early 96 or earlier you will need to buy supports that go in the spring pads as these H&R's are the later style. I'm running 18" E55 mono's on my C36 and in large dips it does still rub. I tried the same rims on my C280 and because the front fenders aren't rolled they rubbed big time. Once you are lowered your camber will be off in front and in the rear so plan on the DIY camber arms in the rear and at a minimum the factory "repair" bolts up front.

chimchongdlight
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Well i havent purchased them just yet. Hopefully he doesnt sell to someone else. Ive already talked to him via email back n forth a couple times. Im just really busy at the moment. For at least a couple more days.

I just want to know what im getting myself into before buying them

I have a 96 c280. How will i know if its an earlier or later? Im thinking its a later bc i have the newer front bumper.

Do u have pics?

Yea i guess ill have to do a little research on the DIY arms for the rear and front bolts

When u said they rubbed like crazy, it didnt mess up or pull the fender out did it? Just so i can go and get them rolled somewhere

mbsickness
03-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Take a look at the production date of the car. My car was a 96 by DMV records but was a September 95 production date. When I get home I can get the vin range for you. On the rubbing I did not drive more thana few blocks with the C280 as it would shred my tire. I was able to compress the wheel and the fender just sat on the edge. The C36 comes with rolled fenders and seems to be fine. The rubbing I get with the C36 is in the rear as it is really sitting low right now. Depending on how much you drive the camber may not be a big deal. I drive 25K a year so for me I can't be running -2.5 degrees camber. With just the repair bolts up front (you ony need two kits) I was able to get camber to -1.5 degrees whcih seems to be working just fine. The DIY camber arms are under $100 so it is very worthwhile changing those. Here is the thread with the support part pictures with part numbers

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?16539-Time-to-get-out-the-tools

chimchongdlight
03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Ill have to check what the production date of my car is i guess. Hopefully its the newer style so i can snag these at a good deal

mbsickness
03-12-2012, 03:51 PM
They will work regardless of early or late production. If yours is an early production you will just need new spring pads to match and the support pieces. I have the late style spring in my early production car with no issues.

chimchongdlight
03-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Yea. I jst dont want to put more money into it. College student here that pays rent And has a part time job. Haha. U guys are ballers

wichipong
03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
what's the part numbers on those? the shocks and springs? and how much if you dont mind? coz i bought my bilsteins bnew for 60 bucks a piece...

MikeD
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I saw these and if I had another 202 I would have snapped these up. All the spring pads I have ever seen have had the MB part number on them as well as the dots or nubs. These are the later double rollled springs that use the spring pads that start with a 210 part number. If your car is a early 96 or earlier you will need to buy supports that go in the spring pads as these H&R's are the later style. I'm running 18" E55 mono's on my C36 and in large dips it does still rub. I tried the same rims on my C280 and because the front fenders aren't rolled they rubbed big time. Once you are lowered your camber will be off in front and in the rear so plan on the DIY camber arms in the rear and at a minimum the factory "repair" bolts up front.

A pretty good question to ask about the rubbing issue you had with the Monos on both cars is what tire specs you were running on what wheel widths and final offsets.

chimchongdlight
03-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Im picking the whole set for 160. Hed holding them for me too. I get paid on the 15th

chimchongdlight
03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
After i pick them up. Itll be time for me to look for 2 front tires. They are 235/45/18s right now with an 8.5 wide. I guess ill be lookin for 225. I want 215s but i hear its not safe to ride with tires that thin

mbsickness
03-12-2012, 08:35 PM
A pretty good question to ask about the rubbing issue you had with the Monos on both cars is what tire specs you were running on what wheel widths and final offsets.

Okay here are the specs. E55 Mono II's 8x18 ET31 and 9x18 ET35. Continental Sport Contact 3 tires in 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear. The C280 is a pre update 1994 riding on H&R and Bilstein with #2 Pads in front and #3 in the rear. Fender clearance in the front is the issue and I'm not going to go down the path of fender rolling. The C36 is a 1996 and riding on a Sachs sport kit (springs and shocks) which are the newer style springs with thefit 210 style spring pads. I has #5 pads up front and soon to be #3 pads in the rear (currently #1's). The E55 Mono's are a tight fit and I think the rubbing will be gone once I raise the rear up a tad as it rubs only on big dips. The front fenders are rolled from the factory on the C36 so there aren't the same clearance issues that I had with the C280.

mbsickness
03-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Ill have to check what the production date of my car is i guess. Hopefully its the newer style so i can snag these at a good deal

Depending on the plant where your car was produced if you have a VIN greater than these you have the new style spring and you are set...otherwise start collecting the new spring pads and supports from your local dealer.

A384234
F369714

SD202
03-13-2012, 08:25 AM
After i pick them up. Itll be time for me to look for 2 front tires. They are 235/45/18s right now with an 8.5 wide. I guess ill be lookin for 225. I want 215s but i hear its not safe to ride with tires that thin

dont believe everything you hear on the internet. I drive slammed on a 215/40 on a 9.5 and on my front 18x8.5 i run a 215/35 DAILY DRIVEN. 180k + and counting.
PS. if you were in san diego i could help you install these its super easy on W202.

wichipong
03-13-2012, 08:44 AM
i had 215s before up front for 8.5 wide tires... looking to go 215s for my carlssons...

chimchongdlight
03-13-2012, 08:53 AM
dont believe everything you hear on the internet. I drive slammed on a 215/40 on a 9.5 and on my front 18x8.5 i run a 215/35 DAILY DRIVEN. 180k + and counting.
PS. if you were in san diego i could help you install these its super easy on W202.

i had 215s before up front for 8.5 wide tires... looking to go 215s for my carlssons...

Lets see those pics of the 215s with 8.5!!! I gotta go as stretched as i can bc my wheel sticks out a substantial amount

SD202. I wish i lived out there. U would be the FIRST person i hit up for help!! Looks like you got the experience!! Haha

Well after i pick this set up im gonna have to save up for tires and the camber arms for the rear and watever i need for the front. And then money for my alignment and tow adjustment

I was reading somewhere on the stance forums and they said theres something out there in the market for riding cambered but not affecting your tires. Is that true? Does that not relate to our cars? Am i mistaken?

chimchongdlight
03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
So this means im ok right?
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/chimchongdlight/89f628d3.jpg

chimchongdlight
03-16-2012, 08:14 AM
So im picking these up today. What do i do to check if the shocks are in good condition?

mbsickness
03-16-2012, 08:20 AM
So this means im ok right?
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/chimchongdlight/89f628d3.jpg

Looks like you are good to go. That saves you $100.

hvmercy
03-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Take a photo of before and after for comparison.

Good luck and have fun installing them.

I'm negotiating with someone to someone to buy KLANN spring compressor. I'll see if I get it. I want to get it so I can change the spring pads on my front on
both C230 and E55.

chimchongdlight
03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
I dont know when in gonna be installing them yet. I have to get smaller tires in front firat and then get the camber arms. Im getting these right now bc they are coming at a great price that i cant pass up

chimchongdlight
03-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Take a photo of before and after for comparison.

Good luck and have fun installing them.

I'm negotiating with someone to someone to buy KLANN spring compressor. I'll see if I get it. I want to get it so I can change the spring pads on my front on
both C230 and E55.
Let me know. Maybe i can borrow it? I can throw down a deposit. Or maybe u can help me

hvmercy
03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
We'll see if I get it. Otherwise I'm gonna go with a lower quality made one. KLANN brand tools are f'in expensive.
If I do get it, we'll do a "Lower your car day meet" at my house. LOL! so you can help me too.

Let me know. Maybe i can borrow it? I can throw down a deposit. Or maybe u can help me

chimchongdlight
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Im down!! Hopefully ill be ready when u are. If not. Oh well. Ill still come by n help u if u need man

hvmercy
03-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Ok. I'll post it here when I get it.
Also, FYI for the rear you really don't need the spring compressor tool. It's necessary for the front for safety sake.

Im down!! Hopefully ill be ready when u are. If not. Oh well. Ill still come by n help u if u need man

chimchongdlight
03-16-2012, 01:45 PM
I got even better news on the suspension im buying. Hes delivering from alameda!! Def saves me a trip. And theyre only $160 for everything!!!!

Anybody know how i can test the shocks to make sure they arent blown?

chimchongdlight
03-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Ok so he just dropped them off!! Sweet!! Only thing is. He couldnt find the spring pads. He said if he finds them he will bring them to me. Oh well. Does anyone know what number spring pads are stock on my car?

hvmercy
03-16-2012, 03:16 PM
My best guess is #4 front and #3 rear. That's what I still have now. That's why I need to change the fronts to either #1 or #2 pads.

Ok so he just dropped them off!! Sweet!! Only thing is. He couldnt find the spring pads. He said if he finds them he will bring them to me. Oh well. Does anyone know what number spring pads are stock on my car?

chimchongdlight
03-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Are they interchangeable from front to back? Can i put the fronts to the back and vise versa?

mbsickness
03-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Are they interchangeable from front to back? Can i put the fronts to the back and vise versa?

Front and rear are different and not interchangable. There was a 97 C230 at the Pick N Pull a while back and it was running #5 pads up front.