PDA

View Full Version : Help - W202 C230K won't crank !

Two Eight Steve
03-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi,

My 1998 Auto C230K Sport has been in the garage for over a week as it refuses to start.
I have the type with the electronic smart key, I insert it into the receptacle, the steering lock releases, I turn the key, it makes all the usual noises under the bonnet (clicks from valves operating etc).
I then turn the key to the start position and the starter engages for less than a second as if the starting motor is jammed and it all shuts down again. The auxillary drive belt also moves just slightly about 1" when you try to start.
If you keep the key held in the start position is seems to repeat this cycle around every 10 seconds, always failing crank the engine.
I had it recovered to the indie who has so far established the following.
Starting motor is fine, power has been applied directly which cranks the engine but does not start.
All fuses are intact
Engine is not seized
Auto electrician has been out and has found that the EIS is not talking to the ECU, the fault code reader he has used did not reveal any codes.
He has arranged to borrow a star diagnostic computer next week to try and confirm the diagnosis.
He has guessed it could be the ECU or EIS gone faulty and may need replacing, but is hoping to confirm this with the star machine next week.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

If the ECU & EIS have to be replaced, can these be obtained second hand and be programmed to the car ?
He has advised I will need to obtain them as a set, the ECU,EIS, & new keys, does anyone have any experience of this?

Two Eight Steve
03-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Hi,
It turned out to be the surge protection relay, once replaced it started fine.
So relieved it wasn't ECU or EIS related.