PDA

View Full Version : Gas leak

chimchongdlight
03-23-2012, 10:23 PM
So ive had this problem for awhile. Not sure what it could be. When i pump gas. It leaks near the rear passenger side wheel. Not sure what it could be. It only leaks when i pump gas. It just occured to me. Duh. Im wasting gas!! What Can this be? Is it an easy fix? Will i need to drain the gas before i fix it?

benz4life
04-02-2012, 03:21 PM
yes, its pretty easy fix. Its a hose that's cracked. You might wanna replace all of them in that area there are like 3 different sizes if i remember. U can do the fuel filter at the same time.
I don't know if its allowed to post links from other forums but Google "C230 fuel gas leak repair" and check the 1st result . You'll find a PDF there with drawings and instructions.

chimchongdlight
04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
ok kool thanks, would u happen to know if i need to drain the gas? well ima google this real quick

chimchongdlight
04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
hopefully its just a hose that can easily be pulled off and replaced...hopefully when i go down there to check i'll be able to see.

where does everyone ususally order parts from? autohausaz? seems like they're the cheapest in price...anyone got anymore recomendations?

benz4life
04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
The fuel injection system is a pressurized system and will spray a little gas out, tank can't be full to the top, because you will replace that tube that supplies the tank, or the overflow tube, if its lets say 75% full , u are good. We did not empty the tank, just research a little bit in which order you have to disconnect the hoses, I don't remember exactly. I got all the hoses at "advanced auto parts". As long as they fit, its ok, doesn't have to be OEM but has to resist a certain pressure.

chimchongdlight
04-02-2012, 04:35 PM
ok kool so if i have a 1/4 tank left, it'll be ok...when i disconnect the hose, will it cause some kind of pressure explosion? got me kind of scared now

benz4life
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Here we go:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/61677509/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-W202-Service-Manual-1994-2000-Excerpt#page=1

WARNING

The fuel system retains pressure even when the ignition is OFF.•Before disconnecting a fuel hose, wrap a shop cloth around the hose to absorb any leaking fuel. Loosen fuel lines slowly to allow residual fuel pressure to dissipate. Avoid spraying fuel.•Place a drain pan underneath the work area to collect spilling fuel.•Before beginning work on the fuel system, place a fire extinguisher in the vicinity of the work area.•Fuel is highly flammable. When working around fuel, do not disconnect wires that could cause electrical sparks. Do not smoke or work near heaters or other fire hazards.•Wear eye protection and protective clothing to avoid injuries from contact with fuel.•Unscrew the fuel tank cap to release pressure in the tank before working on fuel lines.•Do not use a work light with an incandescent bulb near fuel.Fuel may spray on the hot bulb, causing a fire.•Make sure the work area is properly ventilated.
WARNING

•Make sure the vehicle is stable and well supported at all times.Use a professional automotive lift or jack stands.
CAUTION

•Clean thoroughly around the filter connections before removing.