PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs/cutting springs/spring pads aghhhhhh

BlueLine
03-27-2012, 05:03 AM
Hello folks recently i purchased a 2000 c230k from florida in excellent condition. No rust no dings no dents. The car is in my garage as i am anal about driving it unless my todo list on it is complete. I want to lower the car in the fron to match the rear. I think the rear is a perfect height for the fake 18" c63s i want to put on it. Im currently running on #3 pads all around. The thing is ive seen pics of eibachs and HRs on te w202 and they look too low plus i dont want to lose the ride. I have a lexus gs dropped and a mustang lowered so i vowed to not scrape with my 3rd car. Therefore would cutting off my stockers be a good idea since i only want to lower thr front slightly. Or would putting in #1 pads up front make a difference all on its own. Ive been searching and scratching my head like a madman trying to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r105/djqani/e2256211.jpg

SD202
03-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Just try out no pads all around but I doubt youll get what you're after H&Rs and eibachs werent low enough IMO. thats why i cut mine.

BlueLine
03-27-2012, 09:02 AM
With no pads thr ride is going to harshen up i bet. Im not after that at all i lovr thr boat feeling of this car. Im guessing going from 3 to the 1 pad wont really make a noticeable diff? Im temptedd to cut the original coil jus to make thr front and rear look even i just dont know how much to cut.

SD202
03-27-2012, 09:10 AM
search bar is your friend. this topic has been brought up and readdressed many a time. but basically its all in what you're after. Pads do make a noticeable difference believe it or not.

BlueLine
03-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Sounds good. Im going to throw on #1 pads all around and see where i stand.

mbsickness
03-27-2012, 04:23 PM
I would not recommend running a 96-later car without spring pads. The early cars had a flattened spring end so you could easily run without pads as the spring contact area is flat and even. On the 96-later double rolled springs you will have a single pressure point (spring end) which is normally insulated by the spring pad.

BlueLine
04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Just picked up #1 spring pads for the front and rear today. Hopefully it drops the car in a noticeable amount.

KINGFACTOR
04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Did it end up lowering it noticeably or not really?