PDA

View Full Version : Help, unknown problem! Battery drains, accelerator jerks, unstable starter...

careface
04-06-2012, 11:36 AM
First for exactly a week ago my start engine died, but I managed to start the car by parking in downhills.

Then some days ago my buddy tried to install an amplifier in my car, and then strange things started to happen. 2 light bulbs burned out, electronic windows didn't open/close automatically, then all the lights dimmed out in 10 minutes.

I managed to get some power into the battery by charging from another car. It lasted a bit, but then the acceleration started to get jerky. I disconnected the MAS, so it's not the case.

Yesterday I took a trip in the neighborhood to test the car, and my engine slowly died. I couldn't manage to get any power out of it. The acceleration was very jerky - one second it gave no response, another second it threw the car forward with full power.

What can I do in this case? I am SO close to selling the 202 and getting me a jap... :(

taz069
04-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Was their a problem before the amp was installed?

careface
04-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Not really. A couple of times I had similar acceleration jerks. First time was a year ago, and I'm not sure what was wrong, cause it was not my car back then. Then it happened after I accelerated hard on 3rd gear about 4 months ago. The engine jerked at half-power, but after I turned the engine off and on again, it came back to normal. Also the start engine have made a screeching sound for over a year now. Otherwise I haven't experienced anything else unusual...

taz069
04-09-2012, 08:59 AM
iis making that noise for a reason, rebuild it or replace it. It will leave you stranded. How about a tune up? Plugs are they new or old? Check the gap. Fuel filter old or new? If old might be clogged causing some trouble. Spark plug wires, oil change just a few ideas!

taz069
04-09-2012, 09:00 AM
The starter!

strictlyspeakin
04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
is the alternator actually charging the battery? Test voltage at the battery with the car off then running.

screeching sound could be as simple as a belt or a bearing in one of the pulleys.

ypkx
04-15-2012, 01:27 AM
iis making that noise for a reason, rebuild it or replace it. It will leave you stranded. How about a tune up? Plugs are they new or old? Check the gap. Fuel filter old or new? If old might be clogged causing some trouble. Spark plug wires, oil change just a few ideas!

my fuel filter on mine hadn't been changed in many years. and i think this was the reason mine was also having chugging problems ie - when i put my foot down on any gear at low revs it would just make a 'pop' sort of chug noise, and used to get really jerky idles, very unstable so to speak.

Dearlove
04-15-2012, 03:36 AM
+1 on the alternater, brushes are probably dead, may have been changing just enough before you installed the amp, but with extra load it may have finished it off so to speak

Sulaco
04-15-2012, 08:40 AM
If it's killing the battery with the engine off now that the amplifier is installed, then your buddy likely ran a hot wire to the amp (and thus, it's always "on"). My brother did something like this in my C280 because he couldn't find any wire to find a power-on signal from, so he just ran it straight to the battery. I didn't know this, until a day later my battery died while I was at school. I told him to take all that shit out of my car and leave it alone. I've had a stock sound system ever since, and have never regretted it.