PDA

View Full Version : Annoying dash light

cameron_1292
04-17-2012, 04:44 PM
well on my way to a car show this weekend i noticed a flashing light on my dash. it wasnt any kind of normal flashing it was sporadic. it was at low speeds high speeds. it would flash for 4 seconds then go away. come back a minute later then go away. then when i got home i checked the book and it said it was the break pads. now i have a headlight out and theat dash light stays on constantly. so why is the light flashing at differnt pulses. sometimes it doesnt come on at all. today coming home from my gf s house it didint come on at all. then tonight on my way to the store it started flashing. im nervous driving it because i dont want to mess anything up but with it flashing so sporadicly im thinknig its just a malfunction.

Ontru
04-17-2012, 06:03 PM
There is a little sensor that is in the w202 brake that turns the light on when it is touched. When you go over bumps, brake, or the rotor just hits the sensor the light will go on. You have a while till your metal on metal but long story short you need new brakes. I would look at them all though because I believe the fronts wear faster then the backs and don't need to be changed as often. Also, a brake change is extremely easy so before taking it in to the stealership try do it yourself!

cameron_1292
04-17-2012, 06:52 PM
There is a little sensor that is in the w202 brake that turns the light on when it is touched. When you go over bumps, brake, or the rotor just hits the sensor the light will go on. You have a while till your metal on metal but long story short you need new brakes. I would look at them all though because I believe the fronts wear faster then the backs and don't need to be changed as often. Also, a brake change is extremely easy so before taking it in to the stealership try do it yourself!

thanks alot i was nervous this was a different problem but it makes sense now that you explain the sensor. and ill deff do it myself lol ill check the front first and yea the front wear faster for sure because i have to clean my rims of break dust almost every day lol and its only the fronts

Ontru
04-17-2012, 07:49 PM
You want to replace the sensors with the brakes. Depending on what brand of brakes you buy they might come with sensors. I got akebonos which came with sensors but purchased some from mercedes before they arrives so now I have extras :).

cameron_1292
04-17-2012, 08:44 PM
You want to replace the sensors with the brakes. Depending on what brand of brakes you buy they might come with sensors. I got akebonos which came with sensors but purchased some from mercedes before they arrives so now I have extras :).

so whenever you change the breaks the sensor has to be changed as well? and i didint know breaks came with them. ive done break changes on other vehicles before

Ontru
04-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Yeah I believe it is recommended to do so. Upper end brakes might come with them but if they don't then they only cost like 12 bucks for all 4 from the dealership.

cameron_1292
04-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah I believe it is recommended to do so. Upper end brakes might come with them but if they don't then they only cost like 12 bucks for all 4 from the dealership.

oh alright. where are the sensors located? or will i see them once i take the breaks off?

timmyj51
04-18-2012, 10:38 AM
You'll see them. They're embedded in the brake pads attached to a little coiled wire. The warning light
only means your brake PADS are worn down to the point the sensor is coming into contact with the rotor
thus tripping the warning light (you have to find out which pads are tripping off the warning light
but they're usually the front ones). Doesn't mean your rotors have to be replaced. When I went to the
repair shop for the same problem they pressured me to replace the rotors as well but I only let them replace the pads.
Since then no more warning light and the brakes have been working fine.

cameron_1292
04-18-2012, 12:35 PM
You'll see them. They're embedded in the brake pads attached to a little coiled wire. The warning light
only means your brake PADS are worn down to the point the sensor is coming into contact with the rotor
thus tripping the warning light (you have to find out which pads are tripping off the warning light
but they're usually the front ones). Doesn't mean your rotors have to be replaced. When I went to the
repair shop for the same problem they pressured me to replace the rotors as well but I only let them replace the pads.
Since then no more warning light and the brakes have been working fine.

so this isnt normal? it has something to do with my rotors or its my pads?

hvmercy
04-18-2012, 12:40 PM
That's a warning light telling you that your pads are coming close to the manufacturer's recommended thickness allowance.
Whether you replace the rotors is your call. I think it's always good to replace them together with your pads. They are
cheap enough. Plus, they are easy DIY. Max 2 hrs for front. 1 hr. rear + a couple of cans of beer :)

But don't get me started on how expensive it is for the AMG models.

so this isnt normal? it has something to do with my rotors or its my pads?

cameron_1292
04-18-2012, 06:14 PM
That's a warning light telling you that your pads are coming close to the manufacturer's recommended thickness allowance.
Whether you replace the rotors is your call. I think it's always good to replace them together with your pads. They are
cheap enough. Plus, they are easy DIY. Max 2 hrs for front. 1 hr. rear + a couple of cans of beer :)

But don't get me started on how expensive it is for the AMG models.

ive been thinking about getting ceramic pads. do you know the best kind for our cars? and where do i get rotors?