PDA

View Full Version : Catastrophic strut tower failure

SD202
04-30-2012, 09:10 AM
CALLING ALL REPUTABLE WELDERS/ FABRICATORS IN SAN DIEGO
I have a bit of a suspension problem that i need to have fixed. Just looking for someone with experience welding / with strut tower failure ( heard it happens a lot on e36 bmw's) .I will do the complete trunk tear down and get all the suspension/ vaccum lines brake lines etc clear of the area that needs to be welded. All that you would have to do is simply clean the metal/ weld it back. If i knew how to weld i would be tackling this project completely on my own.
heres the damage.
http://distilleryimage1.instagram.com/6990a202927311e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg
some have suggested that i raise the strut housing so that i achieve more stroke from the strut as well as more travel over all i was thinking possibly raise it about two to three inches add some sheet metal reinforcement and it should be good to go stronger than before. would have to cut and weld the other side as well for that project. just seein if anyone is out there that wants some side cash on the weekend and is able to move their welding equipment because the car is NOT drivable above 10mph. I had to have it towed from mission viejo home to San Diego and on sunday no car shops were open. Especially ones with suspension fabrication knowledge. I was considering finding an East County truck shop since they will for sure know suspensions & custom fabrication at those type of places they build 4 link and do I conversions all day im sure. If anyone has any thoughts/ suggestions im all ears. But please do not come at me with the negative comments or suggestions that do not fix my problem such as "shouldnt have slammed it" or "raise the car" Ill go over to benzworld for that BS

hvmercy
04-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Looks like this is on the right side (passenger side US). The whole sheet metal sheared off from the top portion therefore it's best to fabricate the whole piece from top to bottom.
Don't settle for recommendation like, they will weld the pieces together where it cracked. It's not safe that way. And while you're at it, inspect the other side too. Especially looking
for hairline cracks.
Good luck on the outcome and keep us posted.

Pagz
04-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Nasty^^.

One option could be to weld it back as it was,and fit some shortened shocks,or have yours shortened(assuming you have a local shock shop with the right gear)

Our local Koni shop will change valving and shock lengths.

Failing that raise the tower as you suggested!.

SD202
04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Nasty^^.

One option could be to weld it back as it was,and fit some shortened shocks,or have yours shortened(assuming you have a local shock shop with the right gear)

Our local Koni shop will change valving and shock lengths.

Failing that raise the tower as you suggested!.

I live right by the US headquarters for bilstein. but im just curious on input of raising the strut housing

Pagz
04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
I live right by the US headquarters for bilstein.

Very Convenient!=)