PDA

View Full Version : Car alarm, remote keyless reccommendations?

davis449
10-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Since the dealer didn't know what the fuck they were doing when they put the FIRST one on my car (they took it off), I'm in the maket for a one that works and a place to install it that knows what they're doing. The one the dealer put on, they (MB) said, shorted out the car and caused it not to start sometimes, this was a HUGE fiasco involving my dad and our MB dealer. I'm thinking about asking for it for Christmas from the parentals. Any suggestions?

jnolte
10-20-2003, 07:02 PM
LO JACK security system!!!! GPS tracking after its stolen!!!!:D

Have MB pay for a new one!!! THey fucked up your last one and your car!!!! Bastards

:cool:

DMXtremeZ
10-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Got the Viper 550 ESP w/remote starter, $400 w/installation... very happy with it. Very very long range, up to half a mile.

Ozzie Bob
10-20-2003, 08:56 PM
www.carguard.net

Don't know if they are any good, BUT, they have a flick key remote :) Alarms can be simple or complex, depending on the Euros you fork out ;p

c230kompresssed
10-21-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by DMXtremeZ
the Viper 550 ESP w/remote starter, $400 w/installation

yyyuuuppppp

davis449
10-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Ok, I really don't want a remote starter, as I have no use for it. So I guess the concensus here is that a Viper system is the one to get. I would get a LoJack, but I have no use for it either and it's too expensive, if my car gets stolen, the odds of me getting back the important stuff I need that I left in the car are slim to none, and that's what I have full coverage insurance for!:D Oh, and Jnolte, I tried that "give me a new one" with the Benz dealer, but my idiot father negotiated for a new set of floor mats in exchange for the keyless entry! :rolleyes: :( :mad: :angry: :dispoint: :dpress:

Eurosport
10-21-2003, 03:42 PM
LoJack is not worth it
if someone wants to steal your car then they'll do so even if it's parked in your living room
just get a Clifford or Alpine

ruffino28
11-10-2003, 09:11 PM
LoJack not good coz one day my friend parked his car right in front of his house he got in and out like 15 mins the car was gone although he got the car back (i forgot how long) but missing head light, airbags & lots of parts

Brabus
11-10-2003, 10:42 PM
I still like the Compustar alarm systems by Firsttech...

www.compustar.org

davis449
11-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Does getting a car security system or just a keyless entry aftermarket void Starmark? Anyone?

Brabus
11-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by davis449
Does getting a car security system or just a keyless entry aftermarket void Starmark? Anyone?

I'm fairly certain that it doesn't but you might want to check with your dealership.

davis449
01-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Ok, I've done most of the research and now I have the money. The problem with the previous keyless entry was the starter lock out feature, has anyone had any problems with their alarms and this built-in feature? I wanna get this done pretty soon, so any advice would help. Anything else I should know before I do this?

audiophile
01-14-2004, 06:06 PM
go with a clifford rsx 3.5. remote start, keyless entry, and the rest of the other good stuff. about $500. also has car tracking , but unlike lo jack clifford won't charge you some outragous price it's like $15 for 2 years or something like that. by the way which key do you have? if you have the the smart key you can't put the remote start on it, cuz there is no bypass module for that key.:D

davis449
01-15-2004, 03:45 PM
I have a 1995 model that just has the regular key. I didn't want serious security cause I drive an 8 year old C-class so there was no way I was gonna go for a clifford or lo jack. I went, instead, with a top of the line Prestige minus the remote start cause I don't want that either. It works just fine and just as I suspected, if Benz can't sell it to you...it's bad bad bad for you car!

audiophile
01-15-2004, 06:52 PM
that's shit as long as you get some one reputable to install it you'll be fine. how much are you looking to spend.

audiophile
01-15-2004, 06:53 PM
correction,
never mind the " how much did you spend thing"

davis449
01-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Maybe i should've made it a little clearer. I had it done today by Circuit City. The guy that did it has been doing this stuff for over ten years so he knew his shit. He took his sweet ass time (all day) doing it. It works and I'm happy. I wasn't looking to spend over $250.