PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic Transmission Question

KingDEL23
05-15-2012, 07:58 PM
So, for whatever reason, I'm always using tiptronic in the 2000 C230K, although it has it's quirks and flaws, it's still decently fun to use, but I'm wondering if that by using tiptronic constantly will toast the transmission? I guess keeping in mind that the fluid has never been flushed (137K miles now), is this bad for the transmission because it still shifts very well considering nothing has been done to it. Would you guys suggest a transmission flush for this car, and where would you suggest doing this besides the dealership. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I read about a W202 owner on BenzWorld that had much success with a transmission flush, filter replacement and so on at Quick Lube shop. Interesting

kowalski
05-16-2012, 01:15 AM
do the flush asap, you'll get better feeling in gearchanges.
old style 5 speed automatics are sensitive if the oil wasn't changed regularly!
sealed for life meant an early death for MB autobox

W202FTW
05-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Regularly flush the tranny fluid. And no, manually shifting won't kill your transmission - it won't let you upshift or downshift if it thinks you're in too high or too low in the rev range anyways.

KingDEL23
05-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Nice, that's what I like to hear. But, where would you guys take it to have the tranny flushed? I know the dealer would clean me up if I go to them for that. Where do you recommend?

W202FTW
05-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Nice, that's what I like to hear. But, where would you guys take it to have the tranny flushed? I know the dealer would clean me up if I go to them for that. Where do you recommend?

Try looking for independent Mercedes shops, they'll probably do it for a little less green.

ldawgtheg
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Regularly flush the tranny fluid. And no, manually shifting won't kill your transmission - it won't let you upshift or downshift if it thinks you're in too high or too low in the rev range anyways.

Yup. Even though you shift with the tiptronic it won't physically change gears until at a good RPM. So there's only a certain range that it allows you to shift. I mean if you're going to shift a ton it and hold high RPM I doubt that's good for your car anyways so...

KingDEL23
06-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Yea, that's what I've always wondering, but honestly I just need to get a manual car or just do a swap :), I talked to the guys at the Mobil 1 quick lube shop and they said they can do the flush and filter replacement for about $100, so I think I'll just go get that done in a few weeks. Should I be worried they won't do a good job? I mean they said they've done countless transmission flushes, but I feel like Mercedes cars are much much different.

strictlyspeakin
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Not much to it. You should be ok. Price seems low though. What are they going to do, drain and refill? The kits used to come with a new filter and gasket too.

KingDEL23
06-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I am assuming they will just drain and refill it, I will check back with them and ask if they're going to change out the filter and gasket. And as far as price goes the guy said $100 was his rough estimate so it might run a bit higher. I just hope they do a good job, or else!