PDA

View Full Version : bottom dash cover removal to replace brake light switch

johnnybravo
05-18-2012, 02:24 AM
hi, im trying to replace my brake light switch, i've removed all the screws from the bottom dash cover to get to it including:

1. bottom plastic screw
2. 3 screws under knee bolster
3. undone the screw behind the parking brake
4. removed screw holding bonnet release handle (red)

the cover on the left side is completely loose but i just cant figure out how to get it past the red bonnet release handle. there is a screw holding the red handle in, i have undone that and pulled the handle out about an inch from where the cable cover inserts, which leaves the handle dangling slightly, but how would this dash cover get past this handle? loads of people seem to have done it but am i missing a trick here? does the red handle disconnect from the bonnet release cable? please help, all 3 of my brake lights are permenantly on and i need to replace the BLS asap. thanks

strictlyspeakin
05-22-2012, 09:25 AM
once the screw is loose, pull the handle to pop open the hood. the assembly is held in place by a plastic u-clip of sorts toward the engine side. pull the assembly forward a bit as you have done and with the handle still pulled downward manuever the assembly backwards up through the opening. if you're doing it correctly, the assembly will look like a number 7. bottom part of the handle being the bottom part of the 7.
Hope that helps.

johnnybravo
05-22-2012, 10:54 AM
once the screw is loose, pull the handle to pop open the hood. the assembly is held in place by a plastic u-clip of sorts toward the engine side. pull the assembly forward a bit as you have done and with the handle still pulled downward manuever the assembly backwards up through the opening. if you're doing it correctly, the assembly will look like a number 7. bottom part of the handle being the bottom part of the 7.
Hope that helps.

thanks for the reply, so the red handle, whilst still attached to the cable is to be pushed backwards through the opening in the cover? when putting it back on do i feed the handle through first? very wierd problem, since i tried taking this cover off, i may have 'disturbed' something cos my brake lights are working properly again, and i haven't got near to the BLS because of this cover! oh well, one brand new BLS in my parts box till it breaks i suppose. thanks.

strictlyspeakin
05-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Both are correct statements.
Yes the handle does come through the opening first.
The opening is slightly larger at the rear to allow you to slide it back thru there.
You can see it here
http://kropf.net/w202/c280/CIMG1807.jpg

johnnybravo
06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
thanks, did the trick!