PDA

View Full Version : Help! Noise when braking.

C230KJaun
07-02-2012, 04:43 PM
The sound seems to be coming from the dashboard. It's a chirping sound... sounds like a squirrel is stuck in there. It only happens when I break though. Could it be the break light switch?

Thank you in advance. Any advice or experiences will be of great help.

8=Anonymous=8
07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Is it louder when you open your window?
I don't really know what a squirrel sounds like:o

C230KJaun
07-02-2012, 09:52 PM
lol well it sounds like a sort of cricket... it seems to be coming from the middle vents inside the dashboard. As soon as I step on the brake pedal it begins and while at a stand still at a red light it continues. Then when I let go of the brake and accelerate the noise disappears... weird, very weird.

strictlyspeakin
07-03-2012, 09:49 AM
If you turn the climate control off, does the sound continue?

chimchongdlight
07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
I kmow what it is, its a squirrel haha jk!

C230KJaun
07-03-2012, 11:24 AM
@ strictlyspeaking: Yeah, you know I was thinking the same thing... I turned it off and the sound stopped. Maybe something stuck in the vents? I haven't checked my cabin air filter in a while now so I'm gonna start looking there. Many thanks!

8=Anonymous=8
07-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Might be the bearings or something in the blower going??

C230KJaun
07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
I bought a new Cabin filter today and also cleaned the area around the blower (which was very dirty) and the sound has minimized but it's still there. I think it might be the blower going because I set the fan at the #1 position and the speed of the fan varies without me moving anything.

taz069
07-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Alright lets eliminate the braking system! I could understand a chirp or squeal if brakes applied, not the prob here. If the speed of the fan is varianing for setting #1 then the fan is evidently working improperly! Because at setting#1 only so much voltage is applied to said motor,#2,#3 and so on. Now Check that blower motor!! Does the motor (squirrel) change pitch with different settings? Let me know.

strictlyspeakin
07-04-2012, 07:51 PM
I agree it's likely the blower motor. Up to you if you can live with the noise or not. Post up what you decide

C230KJaun
07-04-2012, 11:02 PM
I drove around all day today and the sound has disappeared, I think it was all the debris around the blower motor. I'm still dealing with the fan speed variation but it doesn't really bother me. Thanks to everyone for the help. :)

hipnimahop
07-23-2012, 12:05 AM
I have the same problem as you, it comes and it goes time to time, its related to the bearings of the fan I think, because when ever you brake or turn hard you can hear it and it continues till you accelerate like an idiot and it goes away.

Inzombia
10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I've had a nutjob in my ductwork too! I took it out and eyeballed it really good. Took the time to take it apart and add a little to the bearings. Was difficult to get it in the right spot, but it seems to be better. It took some time for the oil to creep in so it wasn't an immediate fix, it took a couple of days.

My fan speed fluctuated too, and sometimes wouldn't go past level 3 volume. I may still have an issue with the blower resistors.