PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension ReEngineer Bushings- Camber Adjustment

speedybenz
10-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi all W202 and W208 owners. I went out and found a front upper and lower control arm and the upright that connects them.

The recycler wants $250 for everything. I need a little help in buying these parts. So if you would like to pitch in please refer to my Camber Arm Group of Ten post for paypal details.

The purpose would be to engineer new bushings for these lower and upper arms and to make it possible to adjust camber when needed.

The bushings would be a low complience material or maybe even spherical bearings that would be secured in a bearing housing that would be press fit into the control arms.

It will really tighten up your cars handling and may even be as quite as the stock bushings.

Let me know who would be interested. And of course I will end up making a few extra sets of parts for others to share.

Jeff

speedybenz
10-21-2003, 04:21 PM
The upper control arm will most likely be done completlry different than the stock upper arm.

I do want to make it so camber is adjustable. I would also want to make it so the ball joint at the end could be raised and lowered to change the geometry of the suspension which would alter the front roll center and again improve handling.

The new bushings, because they will be near frictionless will free up the suspension and improve the ride quality and the tires ability to follow bumps.

Jeff

speedybenz
10-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks Renn208 for the donation to improve the handling of our W202's, W208's and W210's.

I think this is going to be a challanging project with very good results.

Jeff

Renn 208
10-21-2003, 04:53 PM
No need to thank me, you're the one putting in all of the brain power and effort to make things happen. I just do what I can.

CKlasse
10-21-2003, 05:12 PM
You might want to move out the lower shock mount too while you are doing the upright link. Further pivot point such as in my Passat will really improve the heavy benz.

But yes, count me in... I ll just skip few romantic dinners with g/f for this one. :)

714guy
10-22-2003, 07:52 AM
I have an upper control arm that's yours if you want, the seal on the on the ball joint is broken thou, and i also have a lower ball joint to if ya need.

714guy@sbcglobal.net if your interested

Rocky
10-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Speedy, i'd contribute..forget about the split cost on the shipping for the camber arms.

BTW, how much ya think the front camber bushing will cost?

Denlasoul
10-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Im interested....I'll email you when I come up with q's.

DLS

Tump43
10-22-2003, 04:49 PM
I'm interested! Count me in!

CKlasse
10-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Jeff,

Open a tuning shop on the side man!!! Specialized in AMG line up only! I am sure you'll do just fine. :)

Ken

speedybenz
10-23-2003, 08:59 AM
Well I really enjoy tinkering around and designing parts and stuff. But I think I prefer to keep it at a hobby level for now with my just turned 3year old twins and such.

I agree that there appears to a market for quality performance parts not attainable at the typical tuners, so maybe in a year or two I could be in a position to offer more items to the market.

Jeff

CKlasse
10-23-2003, 09:13 AM
I am simply impressed by these camber arms of yours. Talking about retail quality!

MBATF
10-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Jeff, Plz count me in, and also i still owe you $10-12 for teh rear cambers shipping charge. I don't have much to donate but i will do much as i can.

Three Point 6
10-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Veeery interested. I will commit after I get my rear arms!

Tump43
11-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Speedy:

Any news on the development of your new Front Suspension ReEngineered Bushings with Camber Adjustment ?

I should have some more money in a couple weeks, let me know if you still need donations for this project.

A quick question re: the adjustable rear camber arms I bought from you. They look great and I will have them installed on Monday.

My mechanic is thinking that it will take him about 3 to 3.5 hours to do this job including a new four wheel alignment. Does this sound reasonable to you? Do you have an instruction for the mechanic that would save him some installation time? Or should I tell him to just install the new rear arms by adjusting their length to match the exact length of the old arms and dial in a little less rear camber?

Thanks,

speedybenz
11-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Tump43,

I have not had much time to work on the front suspension yet, although I do have the complete set-up of lower and upperr control arms and the spindle.

As for the Camber arms the left hand threaded side bolts to the subframe and the right hand threaded end bolts to the hub/spindle.

3 hours to install and align the wheels sound about right. The bolts that go to the subframe have a very odd shank diameter that is some 0.005" larger than any other 12mm bolt I have from Mercedes or other sources, so the fit between the bolt the the insert may be very snug. If so 30 seconds with a round file working the inside on the camber arm inserts will fix any tightness.

Just make sure your mechanic checks to see that the stock bolt goes through the rod end and inserts prior to fitting up into place.

Jeff

Denlasoul
11-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Jeff:

would these bushings be suitable for replacement of the stockies? i dont have the camber adjustment on my car, and was wondering if that was necessary to complement the bushings better.

i am considering having the control arm bushings made by another company, but been putting it off b/c of other options.

Thanks

DLS

speedybenz
11-09-2003, 08:40 PM
DLS,

I am working on design of the bushings but it is going to take some pretty deep thought and I not a real deep thinker. But yes they should be suitable to replace the stock bushings.

The hard part is figuring out how to make the bushings or new upper arm adjustable for camber and hopefully for castor.

I have the bushings for the rear lower control arm figured out and will machine them up in the next 2 weeks.

I bought a complete upper, lower and the hub/upright for a W202 to stare at and figure out the geometry and best solution.

Thats why I was asking for some minor donations to help offset the cost of R&D.

I will keep you all posted when I figure it out.

Jeff

Ashkan's C280
09-02-2005, 08:35 PM
can you put any of this stuff on sale yet? I really want to get ahold of these control arm bushings bushings I have the poly u front control arm bushings and am looking for the others you can offer, please put this up for sale.

JDoggery
08-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Is there any update on the front set. I know this thread is pretty old, but I see that there are quite a few who are interested. Also, Jeff: Do u have any sets of the rear in stock? Can I pick it up as I am local. Let me know. Thanks.

Sergio
09-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Please finish your client PAID camber kits instead of picking up new jobs. I really need my kit. I have paid for them. It has been..6months.

I recommend you put a disclaimer at your website to warn potential clients of how long it will be before they get their kit.

I am frustrated. Please send me back my money or my kit.

Thanks.

Sergio
09-20-2006, 08:12 PM
My post, (sergio) was meant for speedybenz- Jeff Short and to all who plan to buy kits.

PS. Please send me my kit. I have left you numerous voicemails requesting a status of when I should expect them and nothing.

Mr. Short does not return calls or emails. Not cool.

speedybenz
09-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Sergio,

I know you have have waited a few weeks and I wish that were different. But it is not. I will have everything together for shippment by early next week.

Jeff

Proven Guilty
09-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Sergio,

I know you have have waited a few weeks and I wish that were different. But it is not. I will have everything together for shippment by early next week.

Jeff

Jeff, are you still taking orders on camber kits? I would like a set, and if you're planning to make another "run" of parts in the next few weeks, I'm willing to wait! :D