PDA

View Full Version : plugs or coil? so nerve racking

cameron_1292
07-04-2012, 04:47 PM
so on my way to connecticut for vacation i needed to replace one of my rear wheel hubs half way through the trip. spent hours searching for a place that would do it and finally got a euro shop to do it. set me back 900! now after 2 weeks of being here and driving beautifully, i am on my way to my mothers house and turn on ger street, instantly loose power and cel comes on, slow to a stop in her driveway and car is shaking rediculously. shut it off for a wile and start it up, runs perfect. first instict was either something in the trottle body, the plugs or the coil pack. browsed the site and saw a few people with almost the exact same problem and it was the coil packs. so is that what you guys think it is? and i know the plugs and coil packs are not that hard to replace but im heading to vermont to see family untill sunday then leaving back for tennesee so i have no time to do it. so i will need to go to the stealership in the morining before i leave. if thats the problem how much do you guys think im looking at?

cameron_1292
07-05-2012, 08:12 AM
UPDATE! well i went to a friends house that has a reader it it read misfire on 4. so then i went to the dealership and they said it was 800 hahahahaha to replace the plugs and the coil for that cylinder lol. so i just bought the parts to do it myself. they said to get the 4 plugs and a thing called a cable plug because the are known to burn out. and there is only 2, one for 2 cylinders. so ll that was only 52$. they said the coils almost never have problems and its most likely the parts that i bought. which i kind of trust them because why would they not want me to buy a 130$ coil pack lol. so ill replace these on Saturday when i get back from Vermont and hopefully everything goes smoothly. does anyone have any advice on these jobs? it would be appreciated.

Sulaco
07-05-2012, 08:33 AM
It's a very easy job. Use allen wrench to remove the plug cover on top of the engine. Intake crossover pipe must be removed first.

Just pull on plug ends/coils to get them off the plugs. Use 5/8" spark plug socket to remove the plugs. Insert new ones.

9 times out of ten with this happens it's plug/plugwire/coil causing the issue. You're using 93 octane, right?

cameron_1292
07-05-2012, 09:13 AM
It's a very easy job. Use allen wrench to remove the plug cover on top of the engine. Intake crossover pipe must be removed first.

Just pull on plug ends/coils to get them off the plugs. Use 5/8" spark plug socket to remove the plugs. Insert new ones.

9 times out of ten with this happens it's plug/plugwire/coil causing the issue. You're using 93 octane, right?

Yea 93. And I'm hoping its the plugs !

atikovi
07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
You coulda just swapped the coils and see if the misfire follows the coil.

strictlyspeakin
07-05-2012, 07:00 PM
that's a great thought. But new plugs can't hurt. Besides it give him a chance to see how well the engine is burning

zmatt
07-06-2012, 03:00 AM
It isn't the coil pack. our cars use wasted spark so we don't have individual coils for each cylinder. if it was the coil pack then you would have a misfire on 2 cylinders. get new plugs, should only set you back $20 at autozone. Changing the plugs on these cars is easy.

Jims202
07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I had a similar issue with my c-280,found out it was the wires,so i would give them a try,could be the plugs but you never know.

cameron_1292
07-07-2012, 07:53 PM
It isn't the coil pack. our cars use wasted spark so we don't have individual coils for each cylinder. if it was the coil pack then you would have a misfire on 2 cylinders. get new plugs, should only set you back $20 at autozone. Changing the plugs on these cars is easy.

hat's what the guy at the dealership said. So I just got 4 plugs and a cable plug. That seems to be the problem. The one guy there said Maybe a fuel injector but I doubt it he was probably just trying to get me to have them service it to make money