PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a problem.

bazza2541
07-14-2012, 11:03 AM
I have a 1998 C250 turbo diesel. THe trim level is Esprit and the car is an estate.
Problem is that it won't start, key switchdoes nothing although the central locking does work.
I tried crossing out the started but only succedded in burning it out.
Any suggestions?

The car in question.....

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/bazza2541/Projects/C-250/100_0239.jpg

taz069
07-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Was their any problems leading up to this starter problem? Kind of hard to say, being a 98 diesel. Fuel pressure, have you hooked up a ob2 test tool and checked for codes? What is the condition of the key that you are using(sometimes they have to be recut)? Seeing you bypassed a few things, was the ignition in the 1,2,3 position? And if you burned up the starter how long did you free spin it and are you sure the starter is fried? Let us know a few more details. Thanks

bazza2541
07-15-2012, 05:09 AM
No problems, key is one of the 'magic' jobs that operate electrically. THere was no 'click' from the ignition switch at all when the problem presented itself. Mechanic replaced the battery and he was the one crossed the starter. I took it to be repaired and that's when I was told it was fried. Got it repaired and refitted but still nothing. I suspect it's an immobiliser problem, only diagnostics is 110miles away and no way to get the car there. Can the immobiliser be bypassed? Am seriously considering scrapping the car now.

Is there an ecu in this car? Can't really see the point as it's an older indirect injection diesel, but I really don't know much about the W202s.

hipnimahop
07-22-2012, 11:52 PM
I believe there should be a fuse for the starter check if its busted , and change the battery in your smart-key, 2x 25cr , and tell me if you have those red and green lights on your mirror ?

strictlyspeakin
07-23-2012, 07:43 AM
There should be a safety transmission position sensor that would lock the ignition out. Its job is to determine if the car is in park or not.

Can you measure to see if there is voltage at the glow plugs when you turn the key?