PDA

View Full Version : Power loss

taz069
07-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Now I'm startin to get peod!! Just changed the battery out for a new one thinking it would solve the problem. With the ac running full blast the car will not take off=loss of power!! Turn the ac down and the car picks up and runs like a sob! BUTT when the car comes to a stop It's like throwing pebbles at a meteor! It will not take off the motor stumbles and dies,and will not restart! With the new battery just about burned up the starter, how do you ask smoke from 195k of oil burning off it!! Any suggestions? I'm at whit's end is this project worth finishing? I know i gotta be frickin close with all that i've done. Please some input.

SD202
07-30-2012, 08:23 AM
uh what ? please some better sentence structure.

strictlyspeakin
07-30-2012, 06:24 PM
You would expect some power loss when the a/c compressor clutch is engaged. Maybe the idle is set too low?
I'm lost about your starter

taz069
07-31-2012, 01:50 AM
Beginning to think its in the alternator. Tried running the car last night with the light oh high. I let the car sit at idle running between 550-625rpm for a few minutes and the same thing when put into gear the car stumbles and tries to die. Returning it back to park and turning off the headlights then putting the car into reverse it moves and does not stumble and die. Seeing how the car has 195k probably time for a new alternator also:(:(

strictlyspeakin
07-31-2012, 08:31 AM
What voltage do you have at the battery when the car is on? 13.5 or so would be normal output from the alternator. I notice a dip in the idle when the secondary electric air pump kicks on and I am stopped at a light.
Is your idle speed higher in Reverse than in Park?
Another random thought is your voltage regulator.

taz069
08-01-2012, 01:27 AM
When the car is running the onboard system shows 13.1 volts. The idle is just a grunt lower when the car is in gear but not by much. Now where is the voltage regulator located? Is it inside the alternator? Or is it mounted elsewhere?

strictlyspeakin
08-01-2012, 01:19 PM
It's on the back side of the alternator.
You tested with normal accessories (headlights, blower, maybe radio) on right? 13.1 is lower than I would expect so it might be a sign. Do the headlights get brighter if you race the engine a little? Also what about if the car is in Neutral, does it still sputter and almost die?

taz069
08-01-2012, 01:37 PM
If the car is in neutral the car idle 's quite well. But with the creature comforts on it dogs bad. 13.1 v by the onboard diagnosis system I seem to be short of the proper voltage.

taz069
08-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Only testing one piece at a time radio no amp! Ac systom fail. Then the lights system fails! Car will run with all turned off.

taz069
08-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the input!! Rebuilt the alternator and now the voltage is right at 14 volts when at idle!!! It did cure some of the problems. Here comes the but. I am still wondering what type of replacement batteries you all are using?? Have a interstate in now but it is smaller than the original, by about 4 inches in length the height is not know to me. A few probs are still their only when i get up to passing speed. Or when i take off fast. But if i drive like a normal person it all good. The battery might be a prob. Any thoughts. Thanks all.

Mike51809
08-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Does it start no problem? I just learned about batteries at school so maybe I can help a little but I'm no genius lol I'm learning about alternators and the charging systems this course and the last one lol

taz069
08-26-2012, 05:05 AM
So sorry for the late reply. Work has been preparing for the upcoming storm (isaac) alot of overtime. Yes the car starts right up with no issues. I still haven't had time to check on a battery replacement but will be doing that today. The bugs seem to be leaving the more time i run and drive the car just trying to stay on top of them. Thank you again.

Mike51809
08-26-2012, 05:11 AM
If you get a new battery bring something with to make sure its at 12.7v because you'd be surprised how many are sold under a full charge lol I know ac voltage in the system can mess up an ecu as well, just throwing an idea out there lol

taz069
09-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Reporting in. I had to take a break from my lil project for a bit. I have found a potential problem in the fuel system possibly causing running issues. My fuel pressure regulator i am going to say is bad from what i can see. Their is a little vacum line that i believe regulates the amount of fuel that is delivered to the fuel rail. When the vacuum line was removed fuel was coming out of the regulator it self. My new one will be in the 3rd of oct. Will report back in then. Be safe and drive on.

peter50
10-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Although as much close to all the participants have describe about it but still there is an ambiguity because this is not in front of me. So I recommend you should to check it any technician.

taz069
10-20-2012, 05:22 AM
I'm slowly working some of these little issues out of the way. Replaced the fuel requlator and this helped lots. On the battery issue have purchased a new interstate to be in this coming thursday. Didn't realise that the lil c280 needed 900 cold cranking amps. Now with all the other things i've done regulator fixed vacuum lines rebuilt alternator(regulator replacement) and now the bat. Hopefully i can give everyone a great report this coming week.