PDA

View Full Version : There is something leaking from the center of the rear axle

zanbeak
08-02-2012, 09:27 AM
i have a 95 c280. what is leaking there? theres a small puddle on the ground. the car is basically never driven. is this a slow leak of some fluid? do i need to fix it or just add more fluid. how much does it cost to stop that leak? thanks in advance

zanbeak
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
its probably differential fluid. how do i stop the leak? is there some sort of additive i can add to thicken it to stop the leak? like i used engine oil stop leak. i dont want to pay $1000-2000 to fix it. the Kelli Bloo Bouk value of the 202 is about $2000 with 100k+ miles. so how do i fix it? thanx

zanbeak
08-04-2012, 03:54 AM
nobody here knows anything about this matter ????????

thegame
08-04-2012, 06:12 AM
if is coming from the rear of the car is most likely the differential. my diff is always covered in grease but i have never seen a puddle on my drive way. I did some research before and i read that a lot of people have grease around their diff. anyway i did seal my diff also and I only payed $250 at the dealership here in MD, the only way that u are going to pay $1000 to $2000 is if they a have to change the diff, and most likely that is not going to happen, our diffs are very strong

W202FTW
08-06-2012, 02:39 PM
its probably differential fluid. how do i stop the leak? is there some sort of additive i can add to thicken it to stop the leak? like i used engine oil stop leak. i dont want to pay $1000-2000 to fix it. the Kelli Bloo Bouk value of the 202 is about $2000 with 100k+ miles. so how do i fix it? thanx

There's nothing you can add that'll make the fluid thicker, which is something you wouldn't want anyways. Drain the differential, and remove the rear cover plate and see if the gasket is cracked or deteriorated. If so, replace it and fill the differential with new fluid.

taz069
08-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I agree with w202ftw. Find you a gasket set for the rear pumpkin and then tear into it!! It's not that hard at all. Just research and find the fill hole. Most rear end fluid require fill to the hole as to where the fluid is added. Get the proper weight 90w etc. Once you open it up it will also give you a better outlook on the condition of the pinion set itself! Black or dark fluid might be a bad sign, unless it's never been changed. Good luck. Keep us posted!!