PDA

View Full Version : Air sensor info?

frenchie
10-22-2003, 12:11 PM
I have a smart one for anyone !Could or would anyone be willing to explane to me what exactly the sensor on the intake tunel on a 6 cylinder 2.8 does normaly .Does it have something to do with heat sensing or speed??:confused:

Eurosport
10-22-2003, 05:28 PM
are you talking about the MAS?
i think has to do with calculating air and air temp to give the right fuel mixture??? been a long day lol

frenchie
10-22-2003, 10:19 PM
No its not the MAS .I have one more on the intake tunel that goes across the engine.It is a smaller one with a push in clip system .???????:rolleyes:

Eurosport
10-22-2003, 10:25 PM
is this the one?

The intake air temperature sensor (B17) measures incoming ambient air temperature. The information is used to calculate necessary adjustments to the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing. Low ambient air temperatures will tend to enrichen fuel mixtures and high ambient temperatures will tend to retard ignition timing. This signal is used by the HFM-SFI control module.

frenchie
10-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks Eurosport !Do you think that it is normal that mine is not being used ?When i was done installing the new wirring harness i noticed it was not hooked up .Now i dont know if that is intended or not by Mosselman .Do you think that the bi turbos are to much for that sensor and they just unplug it ?Or does it have to be in there to function properly ?I am asking this also because after rebuilding the turbos i tried here out and she runs great and pulls even better but!When i pull real hard on her she sometimes leave me with a huge white smoke cloud after that i had time to down shift and it smells like gas fumes .Got any thoughts you would like to share?:eek:

frenchie
10-23-2003, 08:57 AM
By the way ,i supose we are talking about the same sensor because i only have two of them on the intake ,and also i could not view that pic you put up .That was supose two be a pic of the sensore right?

Eurosport
10-23-2003, 10:18 AM
that should be the one sensor that you were talking about, i might have a picture of it later on today

the thing is most likely because of it being unplugged your car with the turbos is running too rich or too lean and you get the smoke and the fumes
probably best thing is to call Mosselmann and ask them about that sensor if it's supposed to be plugged in or not, tell them about the fumes etc. see what they say, because of course MB people won't advice properly since they have no clue with the turbos on the 202's
this is just what it seams to be going on from what i've read
hope that helps

frenchie
10-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks Eurosport !Its funny you should say that about the Merc dealler .You should see there face when i have to open the hood !Thats why i like talking to people like you guys .And i was thinking about calling Mosselman tomorrow and asking him about it .You know till now the boss himself has answerd my questions and has always been more then helpfull (i mean really nice )but when you have a good thing going i dont like to abuse it to much .Thats why i was hopping to try to understand it myself .But in another way they worked on the intake and have there own outake manifold on the car so who nows if it has to be used (exept him )I will call him tomorrow and if you are interested i will let you know .Thanks again !;)

frenchie
10-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Well what do you know !Like Mosselman him self said ,that sensor should be in place .So i put it back in place and yes !it does smoke a little less .No more white gas fumes behind me after i pushed a little to much on that funny thing on the floor of the car !Thanks for the advice ,all in all it comes back together.:cool:

Eurosport
10-24-2003, 12:21 PM
hehehe grats man
nice to hear runs good now :)

frenchie
10-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Hey Eurosport?Are you a lawyer or Docter ?Because i am almost sure i am close .Or a Judge ? :)