PDA

View Full Version : Smoking cats

chimchongdlight
08-17-2012, 07:00 PM
I think there might be smoke coming out if my cats? Or resonator or something. After a long drive, i notice under my car will smoke up sometimes. I looked under it today and it looked like it was coming outta the mid section resonator or cat.

W202FTW
08-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Briefly "plug" the muffler with a rag or something, peak under the undercarriage and have a buddy bring up some revs. Try to do this on a cold morning if possible.

anf6789
08-17-2012, 09:06 PM
leaking somethin??

chimchongdlight
08-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Briefly "plug" the muffler with a rag or something, peak under the undercarriage and have a buddy bring up some revs. Try to do this on a cold morning if possible.

I would have never thought of that. Def will be trying that. Thanks

chimchongdlight
08-17-2012, 09:35 PM
leaking somethin??

Thats the only thing i can think of. But doesnt look like anything is leaking

SD202
08-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Thats the only thing i can think of. But doesnt look like anything is leaking

on long drives my car does the same thing. My buddy noticed it while following me to vegas for wuste in june. It was especially bad because it was 120F degrees through death valley at the time.
I thought it was exhaust related for the longest time because the smoke would come from the mid section right above the cat's it turns out i needed to replace my valve gasket + trans gasket they were both leaky and the oil drips down and when it gets low enough the air rushing under your car pushes it back it would then stop at the tunnel above the cats and drip onto the hot exhaust causing it to smoke. I replaced the valve gasket fixed the small leak. Still have a small leak on the trans. :( next time you're under the car just inspect both the engine and trans for leaks.

chimchongdlight
08-18-2012, 09:57 AM
on long drives my car does the same thing. My buddy noticed it while following me to vegas for wuste in june. It was especially bad because it was 120F degrees through death valley at the time.
I thought it was exhaust related for the longest time because the smoke would come from the mid section right above the cat's it turns out i needed to replace my valve gasket + trans gasket they were both leaky and the oil drips down and when it gets low enough the air rushing under your car pushes it back it would then stop at the tunnel above the cats and drip onto the hot exhaust causing it to smoke. I replaced the valve gasket fixed the small leak. Still have a small leak on the trans. :( next time you're under the car just inspect both the engine and trans for leaks.

ive already changed the valve gasket, maybe its the transmission gasket leaking...this sounds exactly like what i experienced, it only happens when driving in hot ass weather too