PDA

View Full Version : Sound System (Part II) - Subwoofer and Enclosure

babycarlsson
09-02-2012, 04:33 PM
My goal was to keep entire trunk space, and the spare tire, while adding a nice 10" sub.

Started with "donwgrade" on the spare tire - donut... Donut would provide me with much more usable room to build a box to fit inside the spare. And what I bought from the wreck yard is a spare from 2006 C-Class.

Test fitted:

http://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-LSqk76S/0/O/i-LSqk76S.jpg

It came with the shorty bolts, and I can still secure it to the trunk, using the stock threaded stem...

Now to the box... I ordered Boston Acoustics G310-4 this time for a few reasons:

Optimal sealed box, measly 0.5 cub.ft
Very good reviews
Well Built
Price (just over $100, nearly $200 off from original price), only because it is now discontinued.

So the box consist from two chambers - lower, 0.26 cub.ft and 0.32 cub.ft, just enough extra space to accommodate for the driver displacement, wires, etc...

Here is the enclosure in the rough:

http://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-F97L8Qx/0/O/i-F97L8Qx.jpg

Carpeted and subwoofer mounted in it:

http://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-S9XVFcK/0/O/i-S9XVFcK.jpg

I've finally had a chance to test it with various type of music, and I must admit, it is on par with any premium subs I've ever used/tested. It is very smooth, very versatile and very responsive. And I will have to use sound deadening material pretty much through out the trunk, ordered the Fatmat today...

Next step is to finish up the trunk, waiting for the grill to come in, so I can safely use the trunk with out damaging the sub, and finish the cover panel for the amp...

Regards,
D

SD202
09-03-2012, 01:59 PM
box looks awesome ! did they ever make them in any larger sizes ?

anf6789
09-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Wow! looks great!

i love boston acoustics, my 12" sub sounds amazing, more for sound quality then volume, which is what i care about. I was thinking about upgrading to the 312-4 (i have the 112-4) but i would need to upgrade my amp which is perfectly matched to my sub.. i just fatmatted the front doors/rear deck various other spots of the C36, stuff is cheap and works pretty well. no rattles like i used to have in the C280.

babycarlsson
09-03-2012, 04:02 PM
SD - thanks, and yes, they do (did) make them in 12", that's the one anf6789 mentions in his post above. And these "3" series, are damn near audiophile quality series, exceptional sound quality! In 12", SVC, Sonicelectronix and Onlinecarstereo still have them (Cruthchfield had the lowest price, but sold out, only DVC remain in their stock)

anf6789, Boston's 112-4 is probably the best sub in this price range that exists, and now days, are truly a bargain, with very good low end frequency response, Bostons have done really well with their G line!

Power wise, it's fed with Soundstream's 170W RMS, but it is 10", it seem to be very happy with it (though I know it can candle twice as much)

Regards,
D

svt ricco
12-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Pics of the install please... Thanks

Aquaholic
02-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Have you sound matted your boot at all?

Logic
03-22-2013, 04:02 PM
any reason you didnt go with a fiber glass bottom to retaoin more air space?