PDA

View Full Version : CLK550 Rims on my W202

silentheaven
09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
So I picked up a set of the 17 inch AMG 550 rims and they have Yokohama S.Drive tires on them. I am just wondering are they supposed to sound like 33 inch super swampers? The road noise is really loud compared to stock. I checked air pressure, direction of the threads, and nipples on the tires and nothing. The tires are used but seem really new. They have been sitting in a garage for almost a year when I got them. I looked online and reviews of the tires said the do make noise but is it that noticeable when driving with the radio just barley turned up? Nothing seems to be tapping or pulling, drives good just really loud. Is this normal?

silentheaven
09-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Update: So I went and rechecked the tires. The outside of the treads have a "wave" on them meaning that they have high and low spots about an inch apart consistently around the edge. They only "wave" maybe a quarter inch or so. I think after I run them for a while and smooth them out the noise will go away

Any thoughts?

SLAMMED_C
09-08-2012, 05:21 PM
they are feathered.. that will not go away. you will either have to live with it, or replace them.

silentheaven
09-08-2012, 05:39 PM
they are feathered.. that will not go away. you will either have to live with it, or replace them.

Wow that kinda sucks... How does that happen?

Edit: I goggled it and that is what it is.... Oh well I picked up the rims/tires for 350 so I cant complain to much. I will just live with it until I buy new tires

SLAMMED_C
09-08-2012, 05:43 PM
VERY aggressive driving, out of alignment.
I have never seen tires get better with driving after being feathered, its possible it will get better, but I think it will still be noisy and not get better.

silentheaven
09-08-2012, 05:49 PM
I dont drive fast or aggressive so I think it will be ok till I save up and get money.... I needs more low first then I can get new rubber.

Thanks Slammed_C for the info

wichipong
09-08-2012, 10:14 PM
get new tires asap the tires can mess up your suspension in the long run...

silentheaven
09-09-2012, 05:56 AM
get new tires asap the tires can mess up your suspension in the long run...

I am..... I will rock these for a week or so then put the stockers back on. I want to powder coat these anyway. Plus it needs to be dropped badly with these rims. Their is way to much wheel gap for me. Wichipong, are those the same rims you have on your sig pic? I will have to snap a few pictures myself, I haven't taken any of this car yet, but with the 4x4 look I kinda don't want to post them lol