PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise

Mike51809
09-25-2012, 04:32 PM
I had the belt changed a while back and since I did my engine will make a dull "whan whan" type of sound but it can only be heard from inside the car or sometimes to the side outside of it but not under the hood.. The mechanic said it could be my water pump on the way out? I'm not sure what it could be..

peter50
10-03-2012, 11:54 PM
This could also be due to the engine oil. Most often I observe this problem.

taz069
10-04-2012, 06:13 AM
If it is your water pump, the sound will vary with rpm. Ie lower rpm the lower the pitch and vise versa the higher the rpm the sound, pitch will vary all depending on rpm. Not to say it isn't but when mine went south(water pump) the audible sound did vary. Now a "whan whan" sound i cannot begin to help with. Possible fan clutch seeing how temp does affect it's operation. A few more specifics please. Is the car up to operating temp? Is it when the ac is on? Is it only when you first start the car? You did state that it was more noticeable from inside. Are the vacum pumps working? If you have a vacum leak the pumps will run to compensate for the loss of pressure. Also a new belt should not make any noise to my knoledge, it just goes around and around. Let us know.

Mike51809
10-04-2012, 07:27 AM
I only hear the sound at idle whether warm or cold n it goes to operating temp just fine and drives normal. The vacuum pumps are working too but I can't hear it at higher rpms maybe because of the intake and the exhaust lol It has no changes in running at all just the sound.. I can also only hear it to the side if outside of the car but by the hood or under it You hear nothing at all

taz069
10-04-2012, 08:05 AM
bro how many miles on your car? If the sound is only audible outside the car is it the passenger side or driver side? I pulled the passenger fender on mine and there be a bunch of stuff underneath their. A pump system and a overflow tank to the best of my understanding. There is only about 8-12 bolts that hold it on. And it won't ruin the paint job taking it off. Cheers mate hope this is helpful.

Mike51809
10-04-2012, 11:35 AM
153,000 miles on it n I believe only on the left side... Thanks man!

Greeno
10-13-2012, 09:55 PM
you only hear it at idle or just off idle correct? can you get it to do it if you give it a little gas while driving at idle speed?

Mike51809
10-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Only on idle because when i give it gas to listen all i hear is engine noise lol I dont hear it while driving either or under the hood..