PDA

View Full Version : EITHER has anyone tried

taz069
10-03-2012, 01:48 PM
My lil 96 c-280 kicks over now and again. I have changed plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and hoses. I do not have any showing codes!! And yes the plugs do spark a purple blue . Contacted the local mb dealer and they told me to drive it down. My comment was if i could just get it to start. My last option is to give it a shot of the forbidden either to give it the once over. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks all!!

wichipong
10-03-2012, 06:21 PM
i believe there's two fuel pumps??? i may be mistaken though...

anf6789
10-03-2012, 07:19 PM
you are right there are 2 wichipong,

taz069
10-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Morning all. Took the day off to get this lil thing running I Hope!! It was mentioned to check the fuel rail pressure. Seeing as i don't have a pressure gauge i did the following. Had my girlfriend turn the car over and i pressed the point where you would hook up the pressure tester. I had fuel spraying everywhere!! It even cleared the driver fender!! So i would think i have suffecient pressure. Pulled the cam position sensor. Using my ohm meter i get 1.077k. I have looked thru my manual and cannot find a reading/measurment for what is good or bad. Will keep everyone up to the days progress.

taz069
10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Reporting in the lil beast did start!!! No either or anything special. I seems to be a problem with the vacuum lines. The said car cranked and ran for almost 10 min. Then dumb butt me turned it off. In tracing down some more vacum positions i found some under the windshield washer box. And the 1 be dryrotted as well. Hitting it with liquid electrical tape now. Will report back in.

taz069
10-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Now it won't start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

strictlyspeakin
10-05-2012, 07:36 AM
you pulled the cam sensor replaced it and the car started. maybe something there?

taz069
10-06-2012, 05:11 AM
I pulled the old sensor and cleaned it and took a ohm reading on it the reading was 1.077k. Then put it back in. Now yesterday(friday) the car started again and i let it run for 2.5 hrs with a ob2 diagnostic tool hooked to it, at idle the car's timing would hover close to zero. Now when the accelerator was used the timing went to -7.7 once the stumbling was out of the way and it cleared 0 degree's timing the car would rev and run great it would even get up to +33 degrees of timing. Whould it now be the crank sensor?

taz069
10-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Found it!! Found it!! When i replaced the head some of the wires got rerouted. My bad. The crank position sensor wire had a burnt spot in it. Found it only after i pulled and ohmed the lil critter, ohm reading is 1.109k. And from what i have seen it is within tolerance. Now the car starts every time!!!!!!! Hot Diggitttig dang!! It still has the problomatic stumble from off idle to run, but if i hold the brake and give it a little gas she be off like a shot. Thanks all for you patientience!!

Vetruck
10-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Good deal.

I'll share something kind of similar-

I was having alittle trouble starting my car since I got this car 4 months ago. If it would sit more than about 8 hours it would start and die 2 or 3 times until it stayed running. I changed the fuel filter and still no luck. Turns out the little lady took it to work last week and made a quick stop for some snacks- car would NOT restart at all. I ran out the door to her rescue since she was close by (instead of telling her to call AAA) I didn;t want anyone trying to jump it without me there.

Long and short of it is I quickly popped up the truck compartment and wiggled the battery cables- they were tight, I then jarred the fuses & relays and then keyed it and it fired right up. Turns out the green relay (fuel pump relay) had wiggled itself just a little loose over time and was not making good connections- why it would run was beyond me, but it oonly hard problems on long sitting initial startups. Its been over a week now and the issue has been completely gone. Starts right up every time now regardless of how short or long it sits.

Dean

I shared this because stories like this may someday help someone else stranded.