PDA

View Full Version : 97 C280 coil questions

hajami
10-24-2003, 08:29 AM
I have a 97 C280 which has been having some misfire problems and had a couple of questions:

1. Is there a history of the ignition coils in the 97 C's going bad?

2. Is there a difference between the ignition coils in the 96 and 97 C280's?

714guy
10-24-2003, 08:42 AM
yes the boots go bad and cause the misfire even thou everything every else checks ok. you only have 3 boots for the 6 cyl. about 10 bucks each or so.

Find out which cylinder is misfiring and then check the sides of the spark plug(the white part) to see if there are black marks, those are the sparks that can't make it to the cylinder causing the misfire, usually a result of a bad boot since it can't contain the spark and direct it thru the plug.

I think thats how you check it, at least thats what my mechanic told me.

good luck

nokia8860
10-24-2003, 08:46 AM

With these coil boot things. do you just pull straight up to remove?

C280 JR
10-24-2003, 09:42 AM
i had the same problem with my boot, its attached to the square looking piece, that is plugged into the spark plug..the loong black boot had a broken metal piece in it

elvir

714guy
10-24-2003, 09:44 AM
yep, its the black thing attached to the coil pack that goes to the plug (so basically between the coilpack and the plug), there should be one for each coil pack a total of three.

If this is cause the misfire then the sides(white part) of the plugs should have black gashes on them since its firing to the sides and not straight thru the plug into the cylinder.

hopes this helps some

hajami
10-24-2003, 10:44 AM
I replaced the plug wires (3 of them) and now am trying to find new coil packs.

Does the boot on the coil pack come off easily or do you have to replace the whole pack?

714guy
10-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by hajami
I replaced the plug wires (3 of them) and now am trying to find new coil packs.

Does the boot on the coil pack come off easily or do you have to replace the whole pack?

the boot pulls off the coil plug, also check the plug for gashes like i said above.

frenchie
10-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Just take the coil pack in your hand and hold the boot as close as possible to the coil and pull it of or twist it off.But make sure you hold it up on the end close to the coil like i already said .You kind of have to pull hard because they have been on there for a while and also got hot in the prosess.When you are done checking your coils and resistors (boots).Make sure you take the time to think that maybe it might be your wirring harness that is kind of tired.Hope this helps ! :)

hajami
10-27-2003, 05:43 AM
I was wondering what those 3 extra boots thast came with the plug wire set were for!

I changed the boots on the three coils, now the car is running better. I'lll see if it stays OK or maybe there is something else.

On another note, does anyone know where I can find a service manual for this car? I want to do some maintenance and I don't want to pay $800 for simple stuff I can do myself.

714guy
10-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Club202 is a great source for DIY projects. only think your really need to get is a scanner to identify the problems.

hajami
10-27-2003, 09:01 AM
I just need to change the fluids (oil, coolant, trans fluid) for now.

Is it pretty easy to see what plugs to remove once the car is jacked up?