PDA

View Full Version : Engine Coolant?

98Benzo
11-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Which kind of engine coolant is recommended for the 202?? My light came on and I want to top her off before it starts getting cold here. Thanks Guys

wichipong
11-06-2012, 09:17 PM
valvoline xerex g-05 is MB approved!!! make sure what you have is the orange stuff not the bluish one or the green one... available at o'reilly for like 12-15 bucks a gallon i think

http://www.valvoline.com/admin/p42.png

MikeD
11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
I just bought mine direct from the dealership, about $25. Like Wichipong said, make sure its the orange stuff because it does make a difference.

taz069
11-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Check into some water wetter!! It works with all antifreeze well it's supposed to. Check into it. Every little bit will help. It's just a additive that is added to the radiator. It is pink in color and supposed to help lubricate the cooling system(ie the water pump). Hope this helps.

timmyj51
11-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Been through this many, many, times. NEVER EVER use anything except MB brand coolant. Will regret it if you do.
As for water wetter...total waste of money. Wouldn't even recommend it to a bed wetter.

taz069
11-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey timmyj51! Do you support all the after market products out their?? Cause how I see it some of us do support aftermarket research! Why do u lil timmy think this forum is what it is? We look for answers to question's for our 202's. Any and all positive and some negative are welcome! Unless there is some proving science that say's water wetter does not work, then so be it!. Then you might as well put lucas oil out of business!! And all the other out side companies that do have jobs and try to make our older vehichles better. Until then post up lil timmy! TAZ069

taz069
11-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Sorry all! Just a little bit of my 2 cents'.

Goldeni245
11-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Just a couple weeks ago, I've heard from multiple people that using after market coolants in our Mercedes' will cause an eventual head gasket leak.

Even I'm planning to flush out all the "green unknown coolant" in my system soon to replace with the official blue coolant. My car has actually developed a very slow headgasket leak over the last couple years, I'm not sure if it's because i used non-MB coolant, but I plan to change that right away before the erosion from the aftermarket stuff gets worse.

Although, IF the coolant you are using is MB-Approved then there shouldn't be a problem. I think my car was using really cheap Kragen coolant.

wichipong
11-08-2012, 07:13 PM
As long as they're built for the car they're good for me... of course i modify stuff to it and use aftermarket parts but as long as it is up to mb-spec all is good... my two cents there...

98Benzo
11-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys! I checked out my coolant today and the stuff I have in there in gree :s Is this bad?!?!?!? :o If soo should I do a engine coolant flush and top it off with the stuff wichi suggested??? I got this car a year ago from my grandfather and I am at 150,000KM now so I don't think he ever did an engine coolant flush. Let me know guys so I can get this one headache out of the way for my 202 :D Thanks Again

wichipong
11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys! I checked out my coolant today and the stuff I have in there in gree :s Is this bad?!?!?!? :o If soo should I do a engine coolant flush and top it off with the stuff wichi suggested??? I got this car a year ago from my grandfather and I am at 150,000KM now so I don't think he ever did an engine coolant flush. Let me know guys so I can get this one headache out of the way for my 202 :D Thanks Again

do you have up to date service records? check that first... mb started using a bluish type coolant which is supposed to last 7++ years....

98Benzo
11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Um I will have to check with my grandfather but he is anal about keeping stuff like that so I can almost guarantee he has them. Maybe I will have my MB mechanic have a look at it and see what he tells me. I am just scared I am runnig wrong stuff but the car runs like a dream and never given me an issue soo I don't think that could be the issue. Thanks Again Wichi :D

timmyj51
11-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Water wetter no better than water. Wouldn't recommend it to even a bed wetter with an Irish setter.

timmyj51
11-09-2012, 07:58 AM

NO GREEN GUNK! MB coolant has a unique PH level you need for the aluminum parts in your radiator. Can't believe that, in order to save a few
bucks, some chuckleheads put their $300 radiator at risk, especially since, with the MB brand, you only have to change the coolant every
three years.

W202FTW
11-09-2012, 05:04 PM
M104 - 198k, running on that "green" Peak 50/50 stuff. No leaks, engine maintained 87*C in the hot summer time. No radiator or mysteriously low overflow cans. Also was running 5W-30 dinosaur oil at the same time.

Have a good day guys. I'll let you know if the cooling system ever fails on my 104.

timmyj51
11-10-2012, 07:19 AM
M104 - 198k, running on that "green" Peak 50/50 stuff. No leaks, engine maintained 87*C in the hot summer time. No radiator or mysteriously low overflow cans. Also was running 5W-30 dinosaur oil at the same time.

Have a good day guys. I'll let you know if the cooling system ever fails on my 104.

Engine should be running at 80C on the button. That green gunk has probably already messed up your radiator.

W202FTW
11-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Engine should be running at 80C on the button. That green gunk has probably already messed up your radiator.

Probably? No, and it's not like my heater core is busted. The colors are just dyes anyways and they don't indicate anything specific about the components. Almost anything labeled G-05 is compatible with MB coolant anyways.

Goldeni245
11-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Hmm, i've been using the Peak European formual 50/50 coolant for a few years now too and I get slightly below 80 on a cool day and a small notch above 80 on a 90 degree day with no air conditioning on and the car being still...I'm not sure that is normal for our cars because when i first got with MB coolant, it stayed at 80 even on a 100 degree day at stand still.

I really want to keep this car for another 4-5 years so I'm going to flush out the old stuff just in case.

timmyj51
11-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Probably? No, and it's not like my heater core is busted. The colors are just dyes anyways and they don't indicate anything specific about the components. Almost anything labeled G-05 is compatible with MB coolant anyways.

"Compatible" with, but not the SAME as, MB coolant. Can find the MB coolant for twenty bucks on the net. BrandX "compatible'"
$12-15. Don't risk a $300 radiator just to save a few stinkin' bucks...over three years!

taz069
11-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Lil timmy i did a radiator replacement in mine from the previous owners stupidity and it ran me a whopping $135.00. Not to mention i took the radiator to a radiator shop and was told because of the age the end caps were dryrotted!!!! And it was proven by the flaking of the plastic on the inside. Now if you have a cure for cancer it would be great to hear!! In the mean time things do and will wear out regardless if it is parked in the manufactures parking lot and you have a line on brand new parts( if ya have that line let the rest of us know!!) NOW THAT WOULD BE A INTERESTING NEW TOPIC IN THE PARTS #'s SECTION!!!!! HEHE. My god my lil c280 is damn near 16 years old. Not many vehicles on the road still have the original parts. Unless they be a showroom model. And not many of us here have that. Soo check back in soon I
ll be checking the part's # section!!hehe

timmyj51
11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
$135 for an MB radiator! Geez, they must be shifting those Chinese kids from sneakers to car parts.

Vetruck
11-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Timmyj51- I have no clue were you are getting your bad tech from but you are clueless to think Water Wetter does nothing. I run in in every hotrod I have. It has the same priciple as soap deos yet it does not sud up like soap. It can be mixed with DexCool which is the best brand antifreeze for aluminum and what it does is allows the water molecules to not form bubbles from the oxegen content in water/antifreeze mix and allows the coolant to touch the heated surfaces more directly without a vapor barrier- thus allowing a better heat exchange from the motor to the coolant.

Get a clue dude and stop posting crap you are uneducated on.

Dean

Vetruck
11-25-2012, 08:40 PM
ps- MBZ brand coolant is nothing more than relabeled and price hiked DexCool. Just buy DexCool. I use it in my BeCool high dollar radiators. I have wated a BeCool Radiator many years ago running the green crap and learned my lesson. Its the second one in 20 years in this vehicle (I've bought 4 total in various cars) and the first one lastest me only 6 years from green coolant. This one has been in there for about twice that now (12-14 years)

wichipong
11-25-2012, 10:34 PM
just use the one i posted... 15 bucks a gallon... its mb approved... what more can you lose?

afronumeric
12-15-2012, 06:52 PM
just use the one i posted... 15 bucks a gallon... its mb approved... what more can you lose?

I think im going to go with the one you posted

I will call dealer and ask how much the MB brand one is.

my 202 has over 150k miles Original coolant. This last summer I did notice the engine water temp was running a little high. I will do a change and hopefully next summer we will see lower temps. all of the this was with AC full blast and many 100degree days in So cal.

I think a manual override switch for the dual E-fans wouldnt be a good idea for stop light or drive through situations.

98Benzo
02-08-2014, 12:53 PM
The stuff I bought from the dealer is a blue coolant. It was $32 for a gallon.