PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needing help for Turkey Day HID conversion kit project:

vixen_w202
11-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Hey all,

If anyone can reply to this by tomorrow afternoon, I really need the help from the community to finish the conversion on my own.

I've done an install on my last car, an 03 altima....and it was an H1 kit. However it was back in 2008, and I've forgotten completely how I did it.

Long story short, I have prepped the car for this conversion by getting rid of the stock headlight assemblies and even though I'm aware the quality of tem is probably low, I bought the chrome projector headlight assemblies that come without the corners. Apparently, this assembly uses a different low beam bulb than stock...which ended up being an H7 bulb.

Tonight to streamline the install so I am spending less time in the garage and more with family, I went and ahead and found clean and tidy places for the ballasts to go. I am not 100 percent sure if I am going to be able to install the bulb without having to remove the assembly again, because unlike the stock 9003 bulb which I have experience replacing... This one seems to look like a screwed down retention plate bulb.

The last few things I will ask are:

Will I have to dremel a hole in the dust cover, and is it too difficult? (I have a dremel)

most of the connections are plug and play, but I am intimidated by where these little metal prongs go on the bulb harness for the power and ground. I vaguely remember on my last install it was a matter of hooking them up somewhere into the existing harness. All I literally have available for tomorrow are my tools, some zip ties and the kit. I literally didn't plan or expect anything too rocket science installing this. If I am going to need anything else from the store tomorrow, I'm screwed until Friday because everything's closed. If there's an easy way to plug these into the factory harness without significant modification, PLEASE let me know by tomorrow.

Thanks.

wichipong
11-21-2012, 10:12 PM
search here i should have a DIY if not let me know so i can email it... and yes you have to drill a hole about an inch big on the dust cover

vixen_w202
11-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I couldn't find it in the search. It'd really help if I got your install guide by tomorrow morning. I'm on my iPhone and I can't find where to send a PM so I'll risk posting my email on a public reply to get it.

Send it to bryanjensen2@gmail.com

P.S. I really need to figure out where the power and ground go for H7.

vixen_w202
11-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Success guys!

Shockingly enough to me, I decided to get up at 7:30 this morning and get straight to work on it. It wasn't hard at all! I guess I was just a little intimidated because it'd been a long time since I'd done it.

All I have left to do is dremel out both dust covers for the rubber boots on the bulb harness. I'll call my cousin and have him bring his over to knock it out before we fall asleep from all the eaten turkey.

Will post pics tomorrow, and happy thanksgiving!

Goldeni245
11-22-2012, 10:22 AM
congrats on the install! When I first got my w202, I was really intimidated by the HID retrofit diy and had a forum member do it for me too. Now being much wiser, I realized that it's actually piece of cake.

Happy Thanksgiving!

buzzk1ll
11-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Man I think this will be added to the list.

_Nick
11-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Thats always a great feeling. what temps did you go with?

Razial1337
12-06-2012, 07:16 AM
I bought my 280 earlier this year and The guy before me had already did the HID conversion. You may think it was a lucky find, but he majorly butchered the back portions of the headlamps up.
I ended up finding a nice un-pitted pair of headlamps to retry the HID conversion.
Managed it without breaking any of the old dried out insulation on the internals of the light.
So much happier with them now!
I will post pictures later of my car. I am a bit embarrassed, I took a slide off the interstate here during a hurricane, and bashed in the left side of the car pretty good, needs paint!