PDA

View Full Version : ....my plastic hood latch release handle snapped in half tonight, now I can't open my hood...

vixen_w202
11-21-2012, 09:21 PM
I posted a thread in another section about how I was working on my car tonight prepping for an HID conversion. Well, to keep my explanation short....3 weeks I took off the severely worn and ragged stock grille and replaced with an admittedly poor designed black sport grille on eBay.

After I installed it, I was frustratingly surprised to find out that I no longer had access to the plastic latch release and it was blocked. Well, I don't exactly remember how I got it open, but to make sure I could again I came up with the only solution I could come up with without having fabrication knowledge (and looking back on it, it was a little redneck).

I play electric guitar, and I had a spare set of replacement strings. I took the heaviest gauge string, the G, tied it around the release action on the hood latch and the handle... And tied a grab latch for my fingers and tucked it around the benz star at the center of the aftermarket grille (crazy I know, but all I could think of!)

Well, this worked great until tonight. I have absolutely no idea how it happened, but when I tried to shut the hood and go in the house, all is I hear is if something hit somewhere where it shouldn't, plastic breaking.....and then a long piece of guitar wire and the plastic piece broken in half.

I cussed quite a bit for about five minutes...but thankfully when this happened I guess I was so shocked by the noise I didn't throw down enough force to lock it down.

Now I have 3 problems:

1.) I have no real clear way I can figure out to make or rig up something more permanent so I can release the latch. I need help for a better idea using the grille I have (it's the w202 "sport" black grille seen on eBay all the time with the star logo in the center)

2.) I have no way to get into my engine bay tomorrow to finish my project

And

3.) I have no idea why what I rigged up broke the plastic piece.

Let me know, thanks!

wichipong
11-21-2012, 10:13 PM
the latch didnt clear the new grill?

vixen_w202
11-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Nope. It didn't even line up anywhere near it being accessible. Also, the new grille doesn't allow access to grab onto it. I can see it from deep inside one of the gaps between the plastic bars of the grille, but even when it retracts out it's nowhere close. Hence why I wrapped guitar wire around it to yank the release.

wichipong
11-22-2012, 12:24 PM
can you post pics please... i dont see why it wouldnt fit... unless they gave you a wrong grill..

SD202
11-23-2012, 09:06 AM
I swear you must be an English major. Your write ups are impeccably clean and well written with minimal grammatical errors ROFL.

vixen_w202
11-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Lol I am! How did you impeccably guess haha

I'm 25 but I started school when I was 23, a little late in life. I still have a lot of schooling left before I can use my major for anything. Right now crazy enough I was a little burnt out, so I took a semester off to pursue personal interests.

I also LOVE writing, so expect long winded posts. I can't help it :)

Greeno
11-23-2012, 08:08 PM
My suggestion would be to find a small screw driver that has a hook on it (a pick) and a flashlight. Peek through the grill where the pull handle would be and hook onto where the pull handle would latch and pull it to open the hood. Good luck

W202FTW
11-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Whenever you install a new grill ( or aftermarket ) it's important to thread the hood latch release into the cut-out for the handle prior to closing the hood. Many aftermarket grills omitt the cut-out for whatever reasons. It's best not to use them.

Anyways, pull the hood latch release from inside the car. Go the grill, pull upwards and slide an arm ( if possible, at least a hand ) under the bottom the grill and grab a set of speaker wires or whatever works, lasso it around the latch ( whatever is left of it in your case ) and pull downwards on the latch while simultaneously pulling upwards to release the hood.

vixen_w202
11-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Crazy enough, I found this piece of sorta soft, plyable brass wire that was a fairly thick gauge. I did pretty much what I did with the guitar wire. But I twistie tied the wire in a wrapping motion until I got to the end, and placed it behind the benz star. I know this is only a temp fix, I need to come up with a more permanent solution.